Walkbehind or ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DB Lawns, Mar 21, 2005.

1. DB Lawns

DB Lawns LawnSite Member

I have a 60 inch hydro walk-behind with sulky and would like to buy a ZTR. I do this work part time cutting yards from approximately 10,000sq ft to about 2 acres. I would like to know if a 48" ZTR would cut as much grass as the 60" walk-behind in the same amount of time?

DB Lawns

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

me personally, I would just stick with the 60"

3. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark has a productivity chart on their site... check it out.

4. DB Lawns

DB Lawns LawnSite Member

Hey tiedeman,

The standing and aching hands are the main reason for looking for a different way but I do not want to loose production.

5. tiedeman

from earth

how many hours a week do you mow since you said you do this part time?

With the aching hands I would suggest a couple of things; gloves, and adjust the tension on the grips

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

No way. Period

7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I've never compared the two, but I would say you'd loose time with the ZTR. I mow lawns in the same size range and I have a 48 hydro WB with a sulky and a 52 inch Lazer.

For the smaller or heavily landscaped yards, I can actually make better time with the WB unless I'm double cutting, in which case the ZTR wins, since I can do the 2nd cut faster.

You've got to be more careful (slower) with turning a ZTR because they rip turf more easily. They also don't trim as well with the mid deck. Add in a significantly smaller deck and I think you'd regret it. Now if you're bagging and have to run back to the truck a lot to dump, you might make up the time with quicker transport and larger bagging capacity.

8. tiedeman

from earth

have to agree that in smaller lawns I make better time with w/ a WB too

9. DB Lawns

DB Lawns LawnSite Member

tiedeman, somewhere around 12 to 20 hours a week mowing. The only reason that I have the 60" wb is because of the good deal I got on it. As I said earlier the standing and the pistol grips are wearing me down.