Walkbehind questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by firedog561, Mar 31, 2008.

1. firedog561

firedog561 LawnSite Member

I'm looking to get a used walkbehind probably 36-48" for a back up. Any suggestions on what to get and or stay away from? How does the reverse assit work on the belt drives.

2. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

try to go with something that you have a good dealer for in your area,well priced for the condition

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Lots of folks like the BOP (Better Outdoor Products)...they have a 32", 36" and a 44". I hear they may even be developing a dual hydro.

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I just bought a Quick, and though I haven't mowed with it yet, I can tell me and it are going to get along pretty well! Customer service to date from BOP has been outstanding.

This advice only if you would look into a new mower.....

5. stRip

stRip LawnSite Member

Hi i got a hustler trim star 36" with jungle wheels sulky i love it....!

6. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the reverse assist on my Toro 36 belt drive. Its fine as long as you arent running a sulky on it. Basically, you do half the effort and it does the other half. Kinda hard to describe, but its not like putting a car in reverse and hitting the gas and backing up. It still requires effort.

7. firedog561

firedog561 LawnSite Member

I have seen on different sites that there is a lever to put it in reverse. Do you have to put one side in the neutral lock position then put it in reverse? So basically you have to put it in reverse and it helps while you pull it back?

8. stRip

stRip LawnSite Member

i think the trim star has the best steering better than pistal grip any day. you simply twist the grips foward to move forward and twist them back to move in reverse the t-bar moves left to right to steer.. takes a little getting use to , but i love it .... Good luck with what ever you decide to get!!!! stRip:)

9. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Scag?...Great mowers~~

10. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

Exmark hydros, never had a problem with them, we even cut a slope with 3' grass with hardly any problem. Very user friendly with the ecs controls!