1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Walkbehind questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by doubleedge, May 24, 2008.

1. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

Do fixed deck walkbehinds (around 36") scalp much?
    How much would it cost for a 36" hydro with a fixed deck?
    How well do the side baggers work?

Thanks for any input.

2. F3Nelson

F3Nelson LawnSite Member

Yes it will scalp, learn where you're mower scalps, and just push down on the handles, then trim it

3. doubleedge

from ND

Will it scalp much worse than a floating deck walkbehind?

4. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have a floating deck hydro at 36". It scalps like everything else. (don't jump on me for such an all-encompassing statement). With a deck this small, I haven't really noticed an advantage to floating over fixed. I do have a side bagger, they work great. On a floating deck, if the grass is real heavy it will load down one side of the deck.

5. KCfireman

KCfireman LawnSite Bronze Member

they do scalp but only on uneven land. Walkbehinds are good for steep hillsides. I suggest and Encore. They have in my opinion the best cut in the industry for walkbehinds. They also lay down the best stripe.

6. doubleedge

from ND

No encore dealers around me, unfortunately.

7. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

My fixed deck lesco works great. I mow uneven ground and I have never had a scalping problem. The side bagger works great for grass and ok for leaves. I think the cost around 5 grand.

8. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

on a 36" you wont tell much of a difference (except in cost) between a fixed deck or a floater. my 36" was a belt drive and worked great, we only used the mower in the occasional backyard. if it's going to be used daily get the hydro though. the bagger attachment works fine.

what dealers do you have around? exmark, scag, toro, and gravely all make great machines. find a a good dealer that sells one of these and you'll be doing good. dealer support is crucial. they can matter more than the mower.

9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I've got 32, 36, 48 and 52 walkbehinds. All are fixed deck and they all can scalp but rarely does it happen. Scalping is operator error. Tony

10. lostmdboy

lostmdboy LawnSite Member

:hammerhead:I have a 48" Cub cadet, and never had a problem. Well untill the custimer decides they want it maowed way too short so that it will last two weeks.