Walkbehind tearing up the grass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jknowles4, Jan 12, 2006.

1. jknowles4

jknowles4 LawnSite Member

As some of you have read and helped me out already, I have ran into another problem on buying a mower. I have been in business for about 1 year with my partner (40 residential lawns) and we have always mowed with the 21" push mowers. This year I am wanting to buy a little bigger mower (36" small enough to get through gates) and he was all for it until he spoke with a friend who said he just sold his. My partner called this morning and said he wanted to stick with the 21" because he was worried about our customers getting upset with us tearing up the grass with the bigger mower. His friend said his 36" wb ferris tore the grass up like no other. What should I tell him to ease this fear? Are we just going to have to demo a unit before he will feel comfortable? I am wanting to grow the business and not kill ourselves doing it. I keep telling him that no one still pushes all their lawns with 21" mowers but he is a little scepticle. Thanks in advance!!!

2. lawnmasters2004

lawnmasters2004 LawnSite Member

if you know how to drive it correctly, you wont have any problems... just think a ZTR is twice the weight easy and they dont hardly tear up the grass if driven right... i have used 2 36" W/Bs for years and never had a problem.. its all in knowing how to drive the thing

3. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Bobcat 36" wb and it will rarely rut the grass. At first it will happen but as you get use to it you can prevent it. The faster you go the more chance of a rut. Run it in your own lawn for a little bit before taking it on a customers lawn.

4. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

The biggest reason a wb would tear up the grass is if you are not running it properly. 99% of the time that it would tear the grass would be in turning. The thing to keep in mind is you do not come to the end of your path squeeze the handle and let r spin around. It is all about proper technique. This will be for wb and ztr's. All the machines have the potential to rip up the yard. In addition, speed can make a difference. As you become more comfortable with a mower it will make a huge difference. Good Luck!

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

to a point I think that you will not 100% be able to avoid it. My best advice is to just slow down when you come to the turn. It helps if you have a hydro as well compared to a belt

6. jknowles4

jknowles4 LawnSite Member

That's what I told him. It is up to the operator to keep from tearing up the grass.

7. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

yup! yup! Every machine can potentially do it. The increased productivity from the 21" to a 36" will be incredible. Even if you have a belt drive and your running it in 2 all day.:)

8. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

This is the way I fixed this problem, I make 2 or 3 passes around the entire area to be mowed then I start making my straight passes, the when it comes times to turn you can make a wider turn and once in awhile you may have to do a 3 point turn.

9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i did the 21 only thing till just a few years ago. the increase in productivity will amaze you. the only time i have problems is after prolonged heavy rains and then i use the 21 again till they dry out.i recommend a toro t bar sys. eaiser to use and less likely to tear up the grass

10. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Listen to all the post. Additionally, if you fear customers will not want a larger mower, find new ones. Your in business to make money. Time is money. I found the customers that want the 21" have been the pita. Plus, the lawn looks better with a larger cutting strip. Just my .02

kc