walkbehind w ultravac?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scottishmaximus, Jan 21, 2003.

1. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

this year was really tough on leaves and i was not able to mulch all of my properties. the leaves were just too thick and came down too soon. so i would like to be able to bag the leaves with my walkbehinds. i really don't like to use the bags that hang off the side of the mowers due to the bulkiness and small capacity (i know about the extenders but pricy for what it is). i have seen trac vacs model 470 that will mount on the decks of the mowers and am considering them. i do not like the fact that i would have to maintain and hear another engine as well as take it off to get through gates. so my idea. i could buy a blower for an ultravac and make a collector like trac vacs on the deck. the power would come from the deck and the vac should mount on the walkbehind because it's the same deck as the z riders. am i correct on this. are there any other reasons why this will not work?

i think this would be something for exmark to consider.

dealer told me $583 for exmark blower and ~$1500 for trac vac.

i have tthp 48 w 17 kawi and 2 36" metros w 12.5 hp koh and kawi

sorry for the length thanks for any help

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

For What It will Cost You Go with The Bagger and extender. with the trac-Vac You Will Not get under anything Or You Can Not See where you Are Going. Also Put On Jrcos Transporter and Tub, You Can Put the leaves In there And Still Use The Bagger to get More.
    I Can Show you a Picture When i Have The set up on Another mower Early spring. I Think You Can Have a total Of 19 Bushels Compared to 8.
    Happy new year John.

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

What's the big deal with taking off the side-mounted engine for a Trac Vac 470? It comes off and goes back on in about a minute. Plus you have the added benefit of schredding the leaves up some more with the engine's turbine and increased suction capability.

5. scottishmaximus

from ohio

i have only seen the trac vac in the brochures and web. i don't really know how well they work or how hard they are to take off and put on. i just figured a blower w no engine on the side of the deck would be easier than blower w engine.

do you have one?

how do you like it?

i have heard that they clog in wet leaves

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We have 6 of them.
    We love the Trac Vac 470s
    Any vac will clog in wet leaves if you aren't careful or go slower than if the leaves were dry.

7. scottishmaximus

from ohio

just want to make sure, will a 470 work on my 36" metro? i do yards with gates. how long does it take to remove the chute and blower to get through a gate?

i am thinking about the 6hp kohler with the small chipper. just hope that it will mulch the leaves up enough. i use doubles and gators so that should help. thanks for the help

8. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Accelerator ,JMG, and scapesesories all make ALUMINUM mesh baggers that are around 7 cu.ft.( the JMG is actually a 4cuft with a 7cu ft extension). These still weigh only about 30 lbs. and won't stick out to the side more than a blower. Plus no tube to get clogged. The mesh allows good airflow and the fine pieces blow through.

They are easy to dump and when you ant it off it's off no tools. no extra pieces.

I have a small steel catch now and like it. I am planning on a large aluminum for my next mower for these reasons.

9. scottishmaximus

from ohio

i did not like the aluminum side baggers with the extensions because of the price. correct me it i am wrong but i believe that they were in the ballpark of $700. i just hate to pay that much for something simple. yeah i know it's aluminum but dag. i have used the regular length (heavy) metal side baggers. they tended to drag on the ground, got hot from mufflers, were black and got hot from sun, did not fill full, plugged the discharge, and banged and dented the truck bed. I know the aluminum is lighter, and will not get as hot from the sun, but i am not convinced that it will solve the other problems. i have used a snapper clothe bag but was not too impressed with that either.

10. scottishmaximus

from ohio

ok i see the 6.2 cu ft alum bags for $450 by captdevo