1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walkbehind....ztr, Aaah!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by iski3d, Jun 16, 2001.

1. iski3d

iski3d LawnSite Member
    from NH

Here is my situation:
    Right now I do all of my mowing with a 61" Ferris dual drive walkbehind. I bought it new in the fall, and it has the 23 hp Kawi. My only complaint with the mower is that it is SLOW. The mower cruises at about five mph on the flats, but when it hits a hill, it slows drastically. As I mowed today, I began wondering if ztr's maintain their speed on the hills. Many ztr's supposidly have a top speed of about 10 mph. Can you actually cut at that speed? Also, is anyone using the 27hp liquid cooled Lazer? Is it worth the $? Also, is anyone cutting with a 72" deck? Is it overkill? Thanks.
  2. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Try adjusting the belts. That happened to my mower and I was almost pushing up the mower up the hill.
  3. grass1

grass1 LawnSite Member

i just bought the 27hp liquid cooled lazer and it is the best i have save so much time it does a very good job cutting
  4. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Grassyfras is right! check the belt directly under the metal that supports the engine. Tighten it anyway possible, usually by moving the pulley back a little. I'll bet your mower has no problem going up hills after this. Heck take it back to the dealer and tell him its always done this and it wasn't set up correctly when you bought it.
  5. well don't like Ferris (had lots of problems mith mine and the dealer) but I have lazers and consider the EPS insead

if you want to put on a leaf vac for fall clean ups its faster than blowing

as far as going up hill it can go faster up than down and will kill that W/B in speed all day long
  6. deason

deason LawnSite Member

Good advise guys, check your belts. The belt they are talking about needs to be pretty tight. No more that 3/4 in flex. Take it off and check it good though. from what I am hearing it has been slipping for some time. If the rubber is shiny, throw it away and replace.