Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DylanK, Jun 12, 2006.

1. DylanK

DylanK LawnSite Member

im looking to get a walkbehind... i have about 5 lawns but i will be getting more in the future...i want around like a 42-48" floating deck... what are your opinions on the best walkbehind that fits what i want? also, what are the advantages between the hydro and gear drive? thanks!
  2. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

Don't buy a belt drive. They are not very well responding and barely work at all when it is wet out.

I had a 36" belt drive I ran for about three years. When I went to buy my first hydro I asked the guy what the difference was between this and what I already had. His repsonse was simple. "Only difference is when you pull the handles it actually does what you tell it to"
    Man was he ever right, difference is night and day. I would't use a belt drive if it were given to me.

Check out Scag and Ex Mark. I have owned both and was pleased with the quality & cut.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

All other brand mowers are made of phoney baloney so get a Toro with the T-bar, that will save your arms from fatigue and the belt-drive is just fine and it will save you money while you have the cadillac of machines.

You will not want to buy a new one, if you do you just gave yourself a big push out the door because you need at least a thousand yards cut before you get a brand-new Wb. So get a used Wb so you can learn to walk before you run and learn how to fix them and what kind you ultimately want because NO two deck sizes behave the same, they are all different and buying used is a good way to find out which ones you like and hate, before you spend 3-4 grand on something that you have to convince yourself a few times is awwwrite as a machine. And no, the dealer doesn't care, thou many pretend very well lol.

As for float decks, I think the 44" is the only thing that comes in float, maybe there is a 40" but they don't make a 42" and the 48" is fixed deck only.
  4. DylanK

DylanK LawnSite Member

what size do you all think is good for a beginner?
  5. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with Hustler or Exmark. The new Hustler Trim Star has similar steering to Toro, but a better cut (in my opinion). Demo as many as possible! As for size??? Not sure how big your props are?

6. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I have been using a Toro 32 double blade, belt drive, T-Bar for 2 years and have never had a problem with belt slippage. I've only adjusted them once. Maybe I'm just lucky. :walking:
    Great for small yards. Great on hills.
  7. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on how serious you are and your bank roll. Hydro if you are in it for the long run and have the money. Belt drive if you are not sure and have limited funds. If it is belt drive look at the Exmark with ECS. World of difference between the production of a belt and hydro.
  8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

toro t bar. nothing else comes close.
  9. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Far as the Hydro vs. Belt drive its a no brainer to get the hydro. Ive ran both and will never save a few bucks over getting a hydro.

Before I tried a Hustler Walkbehind I was sold on getting a Toro with a T-bar (great controls). Was getting ready to order 2 new Toros and figuered what the heck I will try this yellow mowers. From that day ive been sold on Hustler walkbehinds. You will not find a better walkbehind IMO. Good luck.
  10. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Hustler H-bar controlsare the bestand easiest to use.go hydro you won't be sorry. It is well worth the extra $. Ido almost everything with a 48"Hustler super wb