walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by touhey33, Aug 4, 2007.

1. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

I think i am going to switch from zero turn to walkbehind next season, I am looking at getting a 52 inch hydro walkbehind with sulky. What are everyones opinions on the new ferris comfort control 19 or 25 hp, or the new toro hydro with t2 paddles. Also I have never used a sulky before, whats the best to get, and which ones fold up easily or disconnect in case I need to walk.
    Thanks

2. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

Why do you want to change applications?

3. grassmedics

grassmedics LawnSite Member

most people use the walk behinds: less weight means less ruts in the yard, ztr only has its advantages on straights where it can go faster than the walkbehind, can use a walkbehind after it rains, ztr will tear yard to shreds. thats just a few.

4. touhey33

I want a lighter mower thats more maneuverable, I also have more lawns under an acre then over an acre. It also seems to me that walkbehinds leave a better looking cut. The weight of a ztr plus your weight really makes the ground more compact. I figure I can cut just as fast, if not faster and leave a better cut. Also a Walkbehind from my experience with my 36" wb is easier to work on the my ztr.

5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

The T2 is a well built machine and cuts really good. The controls take some getting used too, but in a few hours you will be doing fine. not sure how well the Ferris is built compared to T2, but the T2 is built like a tank...just go look at one for yourself...I think you will see for yourself.

6. MTR999

MTR999 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

How do gonna do 60+ accounts per week with WB? you tell me...no way.
    If there is way, you will be extremely exhausted ready to throw in towels.
    Never used sulky? that what wb bugs got you, don't be fooled that sulky will alleviate or get rid of problem...I will never go back to use wb as front line after 4 years of sweat and pain.

7. touhey33

I have 50 plus accounts, I do in 4 days with my ztr and 36" walk behind, Im pretty sure I could do that many in 4 days with a 52 hydro walkbehind. I've seen other crews using them and they mow just as fast, and can maneuver better, and as I said they are lighter and better on the turf then a ztr.

8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Get the Toro with the Tru trak sulky and you will have the best cut with the best sulky out there. You won't be sorry.

9. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

The walk behinds weigh less but the tires are smaller resulting in around the same PSI on the lawn. I carry a ZTR and a walk behind for smaller stuff. I only use the walker when I have to. The Exmark ZTR gives a superb cut.

10. Berkshire

Berkshire LawnSite Member

It would be worth your time to look into an exmark turf tracer hp with the stand on. Love mine both are well made