1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walkbehinds only

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scottb, Jun 7, 2001.

1. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

How many of you choose to use walkbehinds only and what is the largest property that you mow with it. I dont want this to be a war of Walks and ZTR's just want to know. I want to purchase a new mower I want a 52" hydro toro T-Bar and of coures the kid in me want's a 60" Lazer. I like the walkbehinds for there over all use and the excerise aspect. I realize the speed of a lazer is awesome but even riding a velkie or sulky is more excerise than a rider.
    Please no war's my doctor said lose 40 pounds I have 20 to go and if I have to excerise I figure I might as well do somthing productive while Im at it. Please tell me how you guy,s feel. And I proably will always be a partimer if that make a difference.
  2. scottb

I know this is an old topic but does anybody have an opinon.
  3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

You basically answered your own question. If it were my choice and I didn't care about exercise at work, I would go with a ZTR. If you need the exercise and want it of course, and your properties aren't large enough for you to justify the lazer, then stay with the walkbehinds.

Good Luck with your last 20!
  4. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally use only w/b's, BUT that dosn't mean I don't care to have a rider. I also need the exercise and a w/b does it for me. I do have one property that I could use a ztr on but for now I'll hoof it. I feel the perfect setup is (in my opinion) is a hydro 36" w/b and a 60" ztr. I'm sure opinions will differ. Good luck.
  5. EROSS17

EROSS17 LawnSite Member

I have both ZTR's and walkbehinds. To be honest with you, I absolutely hate when I have to use the walkbehinds. Call it lazy or whatever but if I can sit down and cut, I'm sitting. I do 120 lawns a week, I'd say I use the walkbehinds on about 30 of them because of gates or ditches. But in your case (part-time), I wouldn't spend the big $ on ZTR.
  6. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I see no need for a ZTR in my current scenario. I have lost ten pounds in four weeks since getting back to work. I should drop another twelve pounds if history repeats.

I do lots 2 acres and less. The two acre lot has pasture and isnt all maintained. I have several areas where I do three lots at one stop. I feel more fatigued from trimming with a T-230 than I do after using the WB.

The WB is cheaper and you will get alot more exercise. If your really hard core use a 21" push mower, really cheap and a real calorie burner!

You can calculate a calorie per dollar figure, or calorie per profit dollar.
  7. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

I would love to have a ZTR but it seems that for me to spend 7-9k, I would have to be cutting an unbelievable amount of grass.
  8. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

On days like today I would have loved to have a ztr. I was soaking wet with sweat from 8:30 am until 5:00. It felt good to get out of those wet cloths. I can't justify a ztr @ this time. Once my partner and I get more cash flow we may consider. It feels good to have the whole rig paid for. For now that 48" lesco will do a fine job cutting grass. The only thing I dislike about it is changing the deck height.
  9. Chip

Chip LawnSite Member

When I first started out I used wb's then after about4 years bought an outfront rider gained a good 10 lbs. and never lost it. Over the winters I would gain 10 and lose 10 after getting back to work. This year I gained 15 bought a ztr and haven't lost a lb. Maybe I should get off my butt and do some walking.
    I do have about 10 lawns where a walkbehind is more practicle. Maybe I should get more lawns like that for my health.:blob3:
  10. scottb

Thank's for you'r replies. Im still not sure exactly what I will do as the price of the 52 (hydro)wb and ztr are very close.But if I will keep the 48 way either and my brother works cheap so maybe it will be the wb.