1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walkbehinds ? Which One do I Get ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Dancer, May 22, 2002.

1. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

Hello Everyone, I have a slight problem I am either going to get a Walkbehind or a Great Dane 36" surfer not sure which yet ? If I go Walkbehind Which shall I get

1. Great Dane Scamper
    2. Bobcat Hydro
    3. Exmark
    4. Ferris Hydro
    5. Toro ? Not sure about toros

I also have looked at the Great Dane Gateway, does anyone know much about these as far as cut quality and bagging ability ?

These brands are all sold by my favorite dealer which also happens to be 210 miles away. I would buy from a closer dealer but there aren't any that sell these except one that sells Exmark 70 miles away and one that sells Scag 42 miles away. We have a John Deere dealer here but they suck and I have been told that the JD walks are junk.

I have had they chance to demo the Great Dane Scamper 36" as well as the Super Surfer 36" and 52" I liked the danes but they are the only commercial machines I have used at all.

If anyone has any input please give your opinions.
    The machine must bag well also, THIS IS A MUST
  2. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

I am going through the same thing right now. I am using a belt drive gravely 36" to do quite a few properties and I am always dumb that i don't just spend the money on the better machine. I should have got a hydro and I think the best choices are Exmark, Ferris or Scag. I think the higher cost comes down to either they have duel pumps or a single?:blob3:

3. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

I have a toro and a deere. I had to replace the clutch on the toro but other than that both are great. When i get a new one i will look long and hard at the exmark because of all the people here that love them.
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Is this a TYPO??? :eek:

Pack a lunch, its a day trip to go get a set of blades!

WOW, and I thought my preferred dealer was far away (11 miles) vs. my UN-preferred dealer 1.5 miles!
  5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Buy a Hustler WB.....Err, but that's not on your list. The Hustler has the best control system available........ and probably the cheapest, too. It's the best built, though.......
  6. rwleigh

rwleigh Banned

Just about everyone around here uses 36" hydro encore walks or 36" wright standers.
  7. misterl

misterl LawnSite Member

I purchased my first walk-behind in April. It is an Exmark Turf Tracer HP 15KAW 36" w/ ECS controls and a Bull Rider Sulky from TrimmerTrap. It cuts circles around my Craftsman 16 hp 42" lawn tractor.:D
  8. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

I personally use Toro hydro walk behinds and love them. If you have never tried toros "T-bar" steering system vs. "pistol grip" style you;ll never use the later again. They are easily learned and at the end of the day you don't feel like you've been milking cows all day. Personally if your not bagging their decks are awesome. They really spread the grass with out clupping and your can cut in the rain. Definately spend the money on hydros over belts. Your pumps(if maintained) will outlast your engine. Well just my experience good luck on your decision.: bart
  9. 2tall

2tall LawnSite Member

Personally I would go with the Ferris SD. I have 2 (36"&48" hydro) and love em both. I haven't used any other brand but believe they all must be good to have such a loyal following. The 3 things that sold me on the Ferris SD was one, NO hydraulic hoses, everything is sealed and therefore can't break while mowing, 2 the freewheel transmission disengage, and 3rd thumb controls.

The only downfall is that the brakes they use usually will only last a couple of months and then you need to re tighten the brake cables.
  10. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Well i see we have another Ford vs Chevy thing going. to me a mower choice should be weighed by your closest dealer with the best service. and then the mower manuf. I run Exmarks NOW, Thanks 65Hoss for enlighting me, and have a dealer about 2 miles from my house. I did buy my mower used but the dealer stocks alot of parts i need and his service is great. It sounds like you have a long trip for service or parts so find one that is closer and then demo his equipment. if he won't let you demo, then Move on.

As far as equipment, i prefer Exmark and stihl for my 2 cycle.

Ask local lawn care guys who they use for service and who's the best and check out their line.