Walkbehinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fourbybud, Jan 21, 2008.

1. fourbybud

fourbybud LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Hey everyone, this is my first post so I will try and make it quick.
    Since I have aquired more equipment than I really need I am getting rid of my 61" Great Dane Surfer.(I have 2 Steiners with 60" decks also) Anyway, I am thinking about getting a 36" to 48" walkbehind. I know everyone says hydro is the way to go but are belt drives really that bad????
    I have somewhat narrowed down my search to a Ferris UltrabeltGD or a Bob-Cat Classis Pro Gear-Drive. These are both available at the same place I deal with for my Steiners.
    Great place to deal with, never a problem. Been dealing with them for over 20 years.
    Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    :usflag:

2. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You should check out Better Outdoor Products...Quick 36...44...they are Hydro units and you can get them for about the same price as a Belt. Trust me...you'll like Hydro better.
    http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com/

3. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee LawnSite Senior Member

we opperate two gravely walk behinds a 32" and a 36" and there both belt driven which isnt half bad as long as u pay attention to ur turn radious and think ahead of every move because backin up is a pain in the butt and u have to replace the drive belt to the wheels because they will get stretched with a seasons use, but if u do lots of residential and dont feel like weedeating the corners u cant fit into defiantly go for hydro, i would go for scag myself if u want quality of cut performance and durability check out there site.

ur welcome: Jerry Lee

4. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

The belts are not as good as the hydrous if they get wet:drinkup:

5. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

will sell you my 2007 toro gear drive 36"wide deck, t-bar steering, with sulky less than 8 hours on it. found i never used it so i'm selling paid $3000 sell for $2300 will meet you haftway, say north end columbus to help on shipping. let me know 937-266-6351 ps. quick 36 has only one hydro and they are hard to steer.

6. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i've had a bobcat classic for about 5 years now. cuts excellent and leaves a nice stripe even without the roller. it has a 15 hp kohler. if you get a belt i dont think you will be disappointed with the bobcat. very sturdy machine as well. goodluck with your search.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Very good advise and a good buy....go for this one!

8. nograss

nograss LawnSite Member

Buy Either Of The 2 Tanks. They Will Last 2000 Hrs Easy If You Take Care Of Them. Great Warranty And Dependable. Great On Hills Or Slopes. The New Scag Has New Steering System So Maybe I'de Wait A Year, But The Ferris Is Tried And Tested. BOTH ARE HYDRO. NO BELT DRIVE IS WORTH THE EFFORT.

9. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

No, the belts arent as good as the hydros but they are cheaper....My front line mower is a Deere Quik Trak which is a hydro Ztr type mower...my 36" Toro is now basically a get thru gates backyard mower.

I just cant justify paying alot of money for a backyard only mower.

10. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

Gear driven walkbehinds are often under estimated in my opinion, they are very capable of getting the job done and are alot cheaper than hydros