Walker 20 hp engine swap?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by grisham866, Jan 25, 2010.

1. grisham866

grisham866 LawnSite Member

Ive got a 1996 walker mtghs 20hp kohler that has broken connecting rod. Ive found 2 older mowers one is 95 and one 93 both have a different style 20hp kohler. Looks like they are completely backwards (gas tank, muffler). Crankshaft on mine comes out flywheel side and theres are on the opposite. Just wondering if anyone knows if the motors will work on mine?

2. Lawdog302

Lawdog302 LawnSite Member

You can physically get the motor in there and hooked up. You will have to cut the crankshaft off and may have to change a few minor things around like fuel pump, air cleaner, and flywheel mounted pulley. Unless the older mowers are just junk and not worth fixing, I would put a 23hp in there instead.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't chance trying to fit one of them other 20hp's unless you've got a lot
    of time and you don't have to put out any money upfront for it.

Best thing to do would be to start cross-referencing, it's a process that takes a
    bit of patience as most manufacturers won't list it out for you but you have to
    do all of the work...
    Start by getting model number, and specifications.

4. grisham866

The engine that is in the 96 mower I have has obviously been replaced in the past. The silver kohler specs sticker says meets 2004 engine requirements but the actual engine model number has been rubbed off. No way to make it out think one of the hoses rubbed it off. It does say 624cc. I have no way of ordering a shortblock to replace it. There are virtually no helpful pictures that show the different model numbers. Just wondering if anyone on here could help me out.

Thanks

5. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  6. grisham866

Yes ive tried everything no way to make it out. Ive looked at that page over and over just no way to be sure. Ive pulled up the year model breakdown and it doesn't look like the motor that came out on it. Looks like the newer ones has no shaft on ignition switch side. A shaft bolts to the flywheel and comes thru the screen with a pulley on it. It has the fuel pump that's run by the rocker arms on top of valve cover. I may go to walker dealer tomorrow to see if they will help

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

624cc would be 20 hp, If you have the same model Walker as in this thread it should be a CH20 stub pto shaft engine with a adapter shaft on the flywheel......

If this is so you can order shortblock part# 24 522 387 which has the stub shaft as well...... Walker is the only company I've heard of using a stub shaft engine in a mower......

8. grisham866

Thanks so much restrorob I think that one will work for sure. Looks like the engine model is gona be a ch640-3111. Is the lowest price for short block going to be mchenry equipment? Theyre the cheapest I found on the net

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Here's a list of engines that this shortblock will work on, As for price...... You'll just have to search.....

Walker Engine Numbers.JPG