1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Walker 20 Hp Kolher 2001

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by wacky zachy, Apr 14, 2008.

1. wacky zachy

wacky zachy LawnSite Member
    from mass

Oil in the aircleaner housing any idea what would cause this ? it seems to run fine and not miss a beat am just concerned it will be a problem soon?

2. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello,
    From your description oil is sitting on top of carby [on the air cleaner base ]just enough to wet your finger ,more or less ?
    The oil is most likely coming from the breather tube which is part of the positive crank case ventalation system [ PCV ]
    Check in side the rubber tube which is located in the airfilter base .
    If there is some oil it can be as below
    1/ the pcv filter needs changing as it is degraded and can no longer control
    the oils access to the exit . parts are cheap and u will need a gasket also
    2/ The reed valve and the surface it seals against maybe worn . part is cheap and do this with no 1 .
    3/ replace the rubber hose if not already done so with the high temp version [red in colour] The hoses crack and let dust in causing potential engine failure .

After u have done the cheap/ easy repairs there is a test u can perform .
    Place a vacumn guage over the breather port located on the pcv top cover . When engine is running a vacumn should be present . If u have pressure there it means compression is escaping into the crank case either a blown head gasket and /or the cylinder bores /rings are worn .

tomo:waving:

3. wacky zachy

wacky zachy LawnSite Member
    from mass

i just looked at the service manual which shows the whole top of the motor and air cleaner housing and don't see a pvc on this motor, there is one on a carb motor? if i trace back where that rubber hose goes will i find. if you can please explain

thanks again Tomo

4. 2stroke

2stroke LawnSite Senior Member

ine threw a bunch of oil into the aircleaner when my fuelpump was having an issue. hope this helps.

5. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello,
    Do u have a black rubber hose coming of the engine thru the air filter housing base and pointing to the carby ??
    Where the hose is connected to the engine ,it is actually a cover which covers the filter and reed valve .
    PCV = positive crankcase ventalation

[this only applies to walkers fitted with v twin kohler and the donaldson airfilter setup /remote air intake]
    [i suspect that there was a airfilter setup on very early walkers that were different ]

tomo:waving: