Walker 20 vs 25 hp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gardenpro, Feb 3, 2003.

1. gardenpro

gardenpro LawnSite Member
    from -

I asked about this the other day but I'd like to see a bit of discussion if possible.
    It is important because the price difference is nearly $2000 Canadian if I want the 25.
    They both go 5 mph. And I assume both bag grass the same, because they both have the identical grass fan. (I may be wrong).
    From reading way into back threads, they have similar gas mileage.
    Is it truely worth the price, if I will be using a 48" and never a bigger bagging deck?
    Thanks!

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I would take a look into the 26 EFI engine. Same gas milege as the 20hp and so much more power running a large deck is no problem. I use the 52" SD deck and it cuts nicely. I use the 48" GHS deck in the spring and fall.

MATT

3. gardenpro

from -

What I'm trying to figure out is how does it run better? Does it actually suck up wet grass better?
    I will be using a 48", and never a larger deck, at least not for about 5 years when the machine can be replaced for something newer yet. I don't like paying for overkill when I also need a new Honda commercial. Thanks.

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have been mowing with a 20hp Walker for 6 seasons. I use the 42"GHS deck and the 42" mulching deck. The mower has plenty of power for these decks, and I feel it would handle the 48" GHS deck just fine. I have demoed a 20hp with a 48" GHS deck and it did a great job, even in thick,tall grass.
    I can not see where the extra hp would help any on the GHS deck. If you try to cut at too fast a ground speed, you may find the entrance to the collection chute will clog up. The extra hp would come in handy if you are going to run a 48" mulching deck. It would allow you to mow faster when mulching I am sure.
    More power is always nice, but if you need to watch your budget, go with the 20hp. It will perform just fine.:)

5. gardenpro

from -

Mowing Man I just spoke with a Walker rep at the factory, and he said pretty much what you did, hp is nice, but you only really need it with the huge decks, which I won't need on this one.

6. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

I have no experience with them myself. However from talking with other LCO's in the area i've heard nothing good about them. Not much improvement from the 20hp. Heard lots of positive feedback on the 26EFI & we own a diesel and are very pleased with it. Our diesel Walker can out cut our 20hp Walker 10x over. Not to say the 20hp is a bad mower though...just not as efficient as the diesel.

To sum it up: In my opinion go with the 20hp in your situation

:blob1:

7. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

I agree with most, the 20hp..my first walker...is a great machine. I now have the 26hp, a much better machine. You should always get the best you can afford. One thing I would think about is the future, next year someone may call and want a ball-field mowed or a big park...you will wish you had a bigger mower to push a 62 or bigger deck around. The walker in my opinion is the best all around mower you can get...they last forever...good luck

8. DieselTurfer HD

DieselTurfer HD LawnSite Member

All summer i mowed with 98 ghs 20hp with a speed up kit. That machine has 1450 hrs on it and is still going strong. It cuts just as good as any other. You will notice a little bog down in thick grass but with any walker if u go to fast in thick thick grass you will clog the chute anyways. We used Mow deck on the decks and the chutes as well. Put that on if you know its going to be wet cutting or just once a week and the deck will hardly clog....huge difference....The 20 hp was good for me and that thing worked for its money and never let me down.

9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Mowing man, I have the 20 with the 48" GHS deck only time it is a problem is on heavy grass. We used to use it to discharge straight out the back a lot before we got the MTD Pro Z and sometimes we would have to slow down in heavy areas. I'm not sure of the lawn sizes you cut but in my opinion the biggest deck I would use on a Walker is the 52 or 54 side discharge. On any property that you need something bigger than that on I would strongly suggest getting a midmount. A 60" midmount will be much faster and you will still have the Walker for the smaller more detailed properties.

10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

cantoo,
    I agree. I use a 60" and a 72" midmount for the big wide open mowing. The Walker gets used on all the residential and small-mid size commercial accounts where an extra good cut is needed.
    While the midmounts give a nice cut, their cut can't compare to the high quality cut I get with the Walker. Most days we take the Walker, one of the midmounts, and one 21" trim mower on the trailer. There is not anything we can't handle with that setup. I need to get a second Walker so on days we run a second crew, they can have one too. It will be another MT20,GHS.:D