1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

walker 20hp/ 62inch deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfman59, Feb 18, 2002.

1. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

Very easy question
    will the walker mower mt20hp be able to effectively power the 62 inch sd deck without laboring or is this really to much deck for a 20 hp mower???
  2. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i know of a few that are still running strong.

these guys usually don't go into heavy wet grass alot with them and only cut 1/3 or less off the top

being belt driven, they do require alot of power.

ideally for the 20hp is the 52" belt driven, 54", 56", and 74" gear driven and smaller
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I will have to disagree with you with the belt driven -vs- gear driven decks. In general, a belt drive is more efficient and requires less HP than a simalar ratio, gear drive. I don't know if Walker uses a different ratio with their different decks, or if they have an "apples to apples" pair of decks to compare? Don't know all that much about Walkers.

However, in general, a 20 hp gas engine will be at its limit when new on a 62" deck. Rack up a few thousand hours, and your talking about a bad combo in anyting more than "perfect" (whats that??) cutting conditions.

I have driven many 22hp 60" class, diesel and gas engined mowers to know that even 22 hp isn't really enough!

BUT....We are talking about a Walker, and they do travel much slower than most other mowers, so maybe its O.K. on them?
  4. captdevo

Sorry, but that is completely untrue.

a belt driven deck requires alot more power to keep it going (idlers, flexing, tensioners to keep a grip on pulleys)

a gear driven deck requires hardly any powerr to turn at all, they are meshed, lubed and almost frictionless.

try moving the pto shaft or blades on a belt driven deck and then easily move either on a gear driven.

regardless of horsepower, size of deck, rpm's or blade count, the gear driven will be the smoothest and simplest.

Try it for yourself, you'll be surprised.

the big thing with the Walker 62" is the travel of the belt on the pulleys and the blade size, it's a monster deck.

i can run a Walker 74" gear driven deck with a 16hp with no problem other than moving it around, put a 62" on the 16hp, and your lucky to cut mowed grass.

go to a Walker dealer and turn a few blades, you'll immediately see the difference.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm still a bit unsure about my/your claims.

While you are spinning the input shaft of the deck of both types of deck drives, you are feeling the resistance of a belt with memory, and its many idler pulleys.

Anytime you change direction of power, you loose efficeincy(hp). If 90 degree gearboxes were more efficient, you'd see them on the front of all cars for the accessory drives. You'd also see more motorcyles with shaft drive (not many).

I don't know how to explain the differences in strength required to turn the different input shafts other than what I said above.

P.S. I'd love to see a 16hp machine mow with any type of 74" deck! Its one thing to stretch the truth, but.....
  6. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

in reality not talking all technical, a 20 hp engine and 62 inch deck just dont match, id say 20 hp and 48 or 52, anything under for less then 44.
  7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I believe captdevo is correct about belt vs. gear drive. I bet if you are still uncertain about this you could get a definitive answer by sending an e-mail to Walker's customer service folks.:)
  8. captdevo

Tommy, i sure wish you were near, i'd love to show ya.

most autos are set up on 90 degree drives as with outboards, 4x4's, and tractors.

there is no loss of power with directional changes (pinion gears) actually you can increase horsepower and torque with this method of drive. (thus commercial outboards vs. typical models) (I owned an outboard shop for 9 years in New Orleans)

bikes don't do well because of the flex of the rear end, if they were all hard tails you'd see them everywhere, butt everyone wants a smoother ride.

best thing to do is go to a Walker dealer and check it out.

i've run Walkers goin' on 15 years, i've come across a few different models, trust me.

AnyWho.....get bigger hp for a Walker 62" deck or go to a gear driven deck.

as Forest Gump would say....
    and thats all i have to say on the matter............
  9. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We run 52" and 62" decks on our Walkers! I will tell you there is not much more of a drag on the 52" then the 62" deck! But the added weight of the 62" doesnt help it either. We dont use the 62" much anymore do to its a gearbox style, a breakage under HEAVY use could happen, the 52" is belt driven you hit something and belts slip no gearbox replacing! I feel owning these machines with both the decks including the 48" GHS deck's, the 52" in high grass hills and other areas will out perform the gear driven 62" any day! If you guys want ill go drag racing with both decks to resolve this issue!!!)LOL!
  10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

No thanks, I'm happy with my current lineup, not knocking Walkers, but they aren't for me. :rolleyes:

But, a little 16 hp is enough for a 74" mower? Heck thats not even enought for a 48".

As for the gear -vs- belt. I'll let it rest. I guess its just the experience i've had with gear drive boxes on other brands of mowers and their driveshafts that is the basis for my "theory" of them being HP eaters. Like I said, I know very little about Walkers and their design.

One more thing, don't Walkers have a built in suction fan to put the clippings in the hopper? That alone should draw a BUNCH of HP, and therefore require higher HP than otherwise similar normal mowers :confused: