walker 26 efi wont start!!!!!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Jusmowin, Feb 2, 2013.

1. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Hmmmm....you've got me on that one....I know my way around them pretty good....
    I've even got the same engine on my own personal Toro Zmaster...but ..I've never had one that blinked like that..
    Ricky86 has a lot more benchtime than me on the EFIs...maybe he will chime in...

2. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Could it be the Throttle Position Sensor? I just did a quick search both on this site and google and found another fella who had similar symptoms and the TPS solved his issue. I dont know a whole lot about the EFI motors so I am really no help, just trying to throw out some ideas

3. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

well I might of found the problem.....I found a 30 amp fuse that was rusted solid, tried to undo the 2wires going to it and it desinegrated and ended up having to cut off the connectors off so tomorow Ill get some connectors and a new 30 amp fuse. Hopefully this will fix the problem.....BTW this fuse was rihgt next to the battery.

4. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Landfakers where is the tps located on this mower?

5. piston slapper

The tps will not stop the ECU from spitting out codes...or give it a no spark issue..
    You should be able to download a service manual from Kohler...

6. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

You seem hell bent on replacing the ecu. It wont help if it's a harness problem.
    You have to follow some sort of systematic procedure. DOWNLOAD THE MANUAL.
    The ecu controls the ign system by grounding the coils. You have no spark, correct?
    Do you have battery voltage at the coils with the key on and interlock requirements met?
    If you don't, you must look at the unit's wiring. If you do have voltage, the problem might be
    in the engine harness and/or the ecu. You can't really go too far without the spec's the manual
    supplies.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I love watching people try to troubleshoot EFI over the Internet. What a pointless exercise in futility.

Dude, download the service manual from the Kohler website, get a digital VOM and fix your engine.

8. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have 2 efi's on the field they are a pain in the as.. Engine...
    Don't let it run out of fuel can't jump start the dam thing but what do I know.
    Mr piston slapper says don't listen to him.

Don't forget I said ECU. First. Only time will tell:waving:

9. piston slapper

Fair Enough Joe...
    1 Question...
    How did you conclude that the ECU was bad...with the amount of information offered by the OP..???
    What did you base your conclusions on..???

10. ecurbthims

ecurbthims LawnSite Senior Member

in the 80's when fuelie cars were taking over ,we as mechanics often didnt have the equipment or training to properly troubleshoot them ,so we always told the customer it probably needs a computer , bring it to a dealer .As time went bye we bought the diagnostic tools,took some extra training in them and once we understood them found that for 99% of the issues,the computer was NOT the issue .My point is ,without digging in to the system,with proper test equipment and a proper service manual,buying an ecu or anything really is premature .You have been given superb advice from slapper ,fish and richard martin ,the guys telling you to just start swapping parts not so much .