walker 26hp efi 2004 will not start.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnrangeralaska, May 17, 2008.

1. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

last week of the season last year i was mowing and i broke the speed control lever off. with this lever broken you could not start the mower. so i would flip the seat up and push the safety switch tab down with my fingers and start the mower. it would just operate at any speed and i just used the steering levers to operate it. well after a while this started not to start the machine. so i bought a new safety switch and installed it and a new forward speed lever and still doesnt want to start. i then took the switch off and taped it down thats what i did on my 2002 walker and it works every time. i then bought a new battery and took all the fuses out and checked them and then traded ignition switches between the machines. i traded all the relays over between the machines. the 04 when i discounted all the relays the plug in's were very dirty at the connectors. the 02 still started right up and the 04 will not turn over. i jumped the starter with a screw driver and it makes noises but it no longer turns all the belts. i also was trying to start it with the tape off the saftey switch and just pushin it down with my fingers and at the same time i happened to touch it to a pulley on the belts and while turning the key it tried to start. can some help me and figure out what is wrong? maybe the ecm is fried??? or just the dirty relays???? poor ground???

2. lawnrangeralaska

anyone have any idea's???

3. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

Is your service engine light come on?

4. lawnrangeralaska

it flashes 6 -1 then stays on. when you do the on off 3 times

5. ATouchofGrass

from CT

6-1 means end of transmission which means it doesnt have any codes coming up on the ecu, but if you say three? what comes after that? I have a whole code sheet here so i can tlell you what is wrong.

6. lawnrangeralaska

it just stays on. i figured out how to jump start it with a screw driver and i have had it running for a while now. i just cant get the key to start it. all the relays are clicking and. i bi passed the seat and the foward speed control by wiring the two wires together. and the pto switch isnt touching so all the safety switches should be working. i check the starter with a reader and we are getting 12volts.

7. lawnrangeralaska

i turn the key on and off three times to run. then it blinks only 6 times then pauses and then blinks once more or just stays lite on after the pause.

8. ATouchofGrass

from CT

yea thats normal. Have you checked your 30 amp fuse coming off the starter? Because these mowers are known for them to melt and blow a fuse, which does sound like the problem. If your looking at the starter, and you will see two purple wires coming off the starter and then coming to a fuse holder, disconnect the battery and then open the fuse holder and take the fuse out and see if it broken, because if you shorted out something it will 100% of the time blow.

9. lawnrangeralaska

yea that fuse is good. we checked it. can i just wire a push button ignition switch directly to the starter motor and just turn the key to run and push the button? pretty much the same as using a screw driver to start it.

10. ATouchofGrass

from CT

Yea im sure you could do that, not too sure how about going that route though. But instead of doing that wouldnt you rather take it to a dealer? But if your capable of doing that by all means go for it!