1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walker 26HP EFI Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by farmboy52787, May 8, 2008.

1. farmboy52787

farmboy52787 LawnSite Member

Hi just looking for some input

This past week my Walker's Service Engine Soon light would come on for 10 minutes or so then go off and it has been doing this since Friday, and then today it didnt have hardly any power and would almost stall going up a hill. It would sputter a lot and it would Idle just fine low or high RPMs but as soon as you engage the PTO, it didnt sound the same. I called the dealership but they were busy but anyways I changed the fuel filter and blew out the air filter and it seems to run better now, but i only tested it in my yard. Would a lack of fuel cause that service engine light to come on? Anything else you would recommend I do, I'm pretty handy and can do the maintenance myself. Thank you
  2. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

How many hours on the Walker?.
  3. farmboy52787

Supposedly 1150. When i bought it in April 06 the owner had it serviced and they had to replace the hourmeter because it went bad and he said it had 650. Now it reads 501 hours. Its a 2003 Model.
  4. nosparkplugs

You need to have the ECU read at the Walker dealership, it could be anything with over 1,000hrs on the machine. Did you know that the 26EFI can become expensive to maintain?
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Both of my 26 EFI engines have been really good. Here is something that you can use to at least get closer to what has gone on. I think the codes are stored. Good Luck. I think the 26's are very reliable and certainly great on gas.

What is your engine error code?
    The codes are accessed through the key switch and
    displayed as blinks or flashes of the MIL. Access the
    codes as follows.
    1. Start with the key switch off.
    2. Turn the key switch on-off-on-off-on, leaving it on
    in the third sequence. The time between
    sequences must be less than 2.5 seconds.
    3. Any stored fault codes will then be displayed as a
    series of MIL blinks (from 2 to 6) representing the
    first digit, followed by a pause, and another series
    of blinks (from 1 to 6) for the second digit.

Kohler service manuals are online for free download at the Kohler web site.
  6. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Take it to a dealer, preferably a Kohler Expert Dealer and get the engine checked out.

With proper maintenance a Kohler EFI should give more than 4000 hours of service.

7. farmboy52787

How do you know what the codes mean? Will the ECU tell you even if i fixed the problem of changing the fuel filter? when you MIL your refering to the Service Engine Soon light, correct? Any additional info would be helpful. Thank you
  8. nosparkplugs

Keep us posted; because I am interested to see what is wrong, My walker dealer does not reccomend the 26EFI for this reason after 900hrs get your wallet out is what I was told, the MD diesel is more realiable course the Dealer told me he would sell me a MT26EFI; but you woll not get the long life & trouble free maintenace like the diesel. The Walkers are heavy with the 9.5 bushel hopper full, and the diesel's weight penalty without a full hopper is my only concern. I really hope your 26EFI is going to be a easy fix; because I really am looking at the MT26EFI; because of the higher HP&torque, in the light weight Kohler engine. Again though if the 26EFI is expensive to maintain when you get over 900hrs, I am going to spend the extra cash on the Kubota diesel.
  9. farmboy52787

Yeah my engine says code 34, and according to the Kohler manual it could be a bunch of things from the Oxygen sensor to the fuel system or a wiring issue. I replaced the air filter and the spark plugs today and that made no difference. I am going to take it to the dealership tomorrow to have them fix the problem.
  10. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe 4k hours is overly optimistic, however, with propper maintenance, 2500 has been obtained but i've never seen much more than that without major repairs.

Your symtoms sound like the 02 sensor is slow to respond. Most common failure on these EFI's. Problem is you want to bring it in to a dealer and have them just check the code and hope it's cut and dry. The sensor is close to 100 bucks last time i checked. No sense replacing it if you dont' know. It's easy to replace, it's just a matter of knowing that it is definetely the problem and not waste your money.

EFI's have been ok. When the diagnostic program tells you what's wrong, life is easy. But it's when you have an issue that isn't cut and dry, you have to run through all the system tests which could take hours....... I've had a couple.

1 turned out to be a broken wire inside the harness that sends power to the ecu. 3 hours to diagnose that issue. Everything checked out but every once in a while the thing would run like crap and it would throw 3 codes.......

Disconnect the batteries on these if you have charge, or jump the battery.