WALKER 26hp or 20hp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kjfaulk, Aug 26, 2002.

1. kjfaulk

kjfaulk LawnSite Member
    from NC

Which motor is better, we are going to purchase a Walker and can not decide which motor.
    I think the 26 hp has not been out that long, just wondering if there is any problems with this motor.
    Thanks
    Kevin

2. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 26 and LOVE it! would recommend it!

3. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

I'd go 26.
    there was a recall early this summer, fuel pump or something, which I guess is fixed now.
    I have the 25 and could still use more power sometimes.
    40% better on fuel too they say.

4. coalburner

coalburner LawnSite Member

The only thing that could make my Walker better is MORE POWER!! I have a 52 side dis and it really works my 20 horse hard in thick grass.

Coalburner

5. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

Get the 26 efi. Less gas consumption more power. At my dealer a 20hsp with 42 ghs was $9200 and the 26 EFI with 48ghs was $10,000. The engine upgrade is worth that $800 nevermind the larger deck and gas savings.

6. greenshoe

greenshoe LawnSite Member

I recently purchased the 25hp and love it but I wish I would have went for the diesel right away. I currently only have the 48" deck for the GHS but I am hoping to get a larger sd soon. Most of my customers get the clippings bagged but I am trying to phase that out as much as possible but around here old habits die hard.

Anyway for the amount of the upgrade the extra power is worth it from what I have seen. There are a bunch of guys using Walkers around here.

Good Luck!

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have the 26EFI and used to have a 25. No comparing the two.

Power, reliability, fuel economy. The 26 is a great a/c engine.

Now if you want to wait a little Walker is putting in a 29LC EFI with bigger power numbers.

20 is a decent engine and will run most decks but more HP is the cure for all ills.

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have the 26EFI and love the power. 110 hours on it (I know, that's not much) and no problems so far.

MATT

9. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with as much as you can afford, you will never regret it. When the mowing is thick and you are in a hurry the 20 will only slow you down. My 25 was strong, but it drank a lot of fuel.

10. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

i would reccomend the 26 efi. the body on the two (20 and 26) are the same. the real difference is the engine and fuel inj.
    go with the 26efi you wont be sorry
    i love mine