Walker 26hp Running a 74" Deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JABBERS, Apr 10, 2008.

1. JABBERS

JABBERS LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I'm about to buy a walker and I don't think the dealer has a 74" deck to demo. I would like to buy a MT26 GHS with an extra 74" deck. The dealer told me I would have to do some double cutting. I mow at about 1/2 to 3/4 speed. Please some clear this up for me. Thanks

2. Blueribbonlawns

Blueribbonlawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen it done before and i wasent impressed whe walker is not made for side dischage altho the do make the superbee wich is awesome.JMO

3. Lawdog302

Lawdog302 LawnSite Member

The side discharge decks run just fine. I've never seen any places that a double cut was necessary. I normally have a cleaner cut with my walker 62 than any midmount because they think they have to run at full speed. The 74 is a great mowing deck as well, just a lot of blades to worry about

4. JABBERS

JABBERS LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I thought I would get the ghs 42" for my small yards and pick them up. The 74" SD would be for the wide open areas of my bigger accounts. I have a 2001 60" exmark with 1200 hrs on it that does a most of the work. But I know the older a mower gets the more down time i'm going to have. My dealer has a couple of the 62" decks used at a good price too.

5. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

I demoed the 74 last year but it was on a 31hp. It cuts a hugh path. I think their side discharge cut just fine if it isn't real wet. I'm sure your 26 will handle it as well. I don't have the 62 so I can't say.

Lawdog do you run the double mulch blades while side discharging with the 62" I'm getting the 52 and going to try this for the wet grass.

6. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Go see Tom Emmett in Cleveland--he is the Walker distr and he usually has a 74 demo unit available. Nice guy--knows his stuff.
    We used on previously and it workds just fine in dry grass--not too good in the wet stuff. the 26 or 31 or the Kubota units handle it just fine. the 62" deck is a better all around deck--will cut good tall stuff and leaves a nice finish mow in routine conditions.