Walker 31EFILC vs Diesel and deck ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HydroGearHead, Jun 10, 2006.

1. HydroGearHead

HydroGearHead LawnSite Member
    from florida

I am in the process of buying a new Walker and am only considering a liquid cool model for fuel efficency. Also, this mower will be running a continueous 8-10 hours per day with only about an hour lunch break when it is not running.

I have narrowed my choice to the 31hp Kohler EFI Ageis Engine which has a 3 year warranty or the 20.9hp Diesel Kubota.

Any comments or info? Will the Diesel have enough power to run the 74" deck?

The diesel uses .76 gph and the 31EFI uses .99gph

Anyone ever use the 74" deck? anyone comments of walker in general?

thank you

2. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

have you tried a walker with a large deck? i seems to me that there would be better options for side discharging. a Walker shines at bagging but it is slow for side discharging.

3. HydroGearHead

from florida

I agree if it was going to be dedicated to bagging. Our compnay currently runs a fleet of 5 Hustler Super Zs all EFI which we like very much. However this machine will actually be bought with 2 decks, a 48" GHS an the 74" SD and used on one large subdivsion that it will be mowing at everyday. The 2 decks will allow use only to have to buy one mower instead of 2.

4. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Diesel all the way, it will have plenty of power. And it will last alot longer then a gas engine.

5. HydroGearHead

from florida

even witht he 74" deck you feel likit will b eok...I demoed a 26EFI and really liked it but they don't hav any diesel units for demo and they haven't even sold 1 of the kubota units here.

6. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

O ya, In the fall I would go through piles of leaves 4-5 feet high and it wouldn't even bog down. I take it that if he is going to be on site everyday that grass wont get that long so it wouldn't be a problem.

7. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

my deck will plug up with leaves way before the motor bogs down. i wouldn't waste the extra money on a diesel you can get a a gasser and an extra engine cheaper than the diesel.

Ron

8. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

Diesel is the best option 4 all the reasons we already no off better resale fuel usage life span limited downtime . In walker mags, paper work etc they do recognise that 4 every diesel engine, you will most likely have fully rebuilt/replaced air cooled eng 2--3 times.No mention of w/c gas but i would still consider this to be a ratio of 1.5-- 2.5 life span.Both eng i would consider as in need of more pwr. Fine for the majority of light to med work load. Remember full size out front have engines of 1.1ltrs ---1.6ltrs.Isuspect walker diesel .722cc and 31 hp gas under .800cc..Have you considered 52 /62 inch belt drive decks.All said you can find a better machine 4 s/d work .[ Walker good at ghs work] TOMO

9. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 26 efi and did just what your talking about doing in 2003. Bought it with the 48 ghs and the 74 side discharge. I changed between the two decks everyday and was a pain in the butt. the 74 deck did not cut near as nice as the ghs decks either. I would leave like 5 stripes. I was cutting fescue with it so the stripes showed up big time and looked terrible with so many different stripes. My 26 efi does great on power and starts up with no problems no matter how cold it is. But I would have to say if you plan on putting your guy on the 74 deck for more than 15% of the time, and/or if it doesn't have many obsticles, you would be better off just getting a second machine.

Tha is what I ended up doing because for one switching the decks sucks!!!!! That 74 weighs like 300 lbs. and second, even with a 60" mid deck you could mow twice as much as the 74 walker when you factor in the time of swithching decks and the slower speed of the walker. I sold mine last year and bought a 60" ferris. The one thing I really liked about the 74 deck is because it stuck out so much further than the machine itself, would hold a hill like a dream. the big deck sticking out so far just acted like stabilizers would hold as steep as a hill as I would put on it. ( I also have the mud tires though instead of the turf tires that helped). Good luck.

10. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

I just bought the model MB this year and am sooo pleased. I went with the 56" deck and the mower has plenty of power. The deck cuts awesome and the deck floatation is unbelievable. I don't know much about the bigger decks but I love this machine. I hear that they are coming out with a bigger engine on the MB to handle those huge decks. I think a 27hp. The 18hp with the 56 has as much power as my toro 23hp with a 52" and it cuts better.