Walker 36" model S opinions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Rose, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I have been looking for one... I want something that can bag good that I can mow backyards and small lawns with. All the areas are going to be generally flat I would use it on.

I know it's a tiny machine, at least engine and deck wise. Other than that I guess they are all built from the same frame.

The one I'm going to look at has a 13 hp Kawasaki and is a mid (to late) '90s model. Dealer said it probably has 600 hours? No hourmeter, but he's sold hundreds of walkers and can tell hours just by the wear on the machine pretty easy. It was 1 homeowner owned, but he also cut a few lawns a week on the side with it. He said it just came in the day he called me (wednesday) and he hadn't even looked under it yet. I asked if it was a newer hydro drive or if it still had the chain final drive and he didn't remember off hand.

Question is; How much would you expect to pay for this, given the facts Iv'e given here? Would the chain drive lower the price subtiantially or would you just avoid the chain drive like the plague? He gave me a ballpark price on the phone that is should bring, but before I say what it was I want some opinions here...

Thanks in advance for any idears you have! I'll keep you posted...

2. Jason Rose

BUMP. Ok, I know there are several (at least) 36" walker owners floating around here and probably more people that have ran walkers long enough to have an opinion! I'd really appreciate some kind of opinion here! Thanks!

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a used MC model that had the POH meter broke(Year 2000 model) but it was easy to tell this unit had been used a lot. I paid $1500 for the unit and it had the bagging deck on it. It did have a new 19 or 20 HP Kohler that couldn't have had much use on it. Almost immediately I had to put in a hydro pump which cost around $500. There is no equal to this machine when doing small lawns it is great. I would be a little concerned about HP lower than the 16HP. I have the small catch bin and that isn't diserable. No repair parts are cheap on this unit the big ticket items are the motor, pumps, the gear boxes on the deck. You can see prices on JD Thomas. Mine has the gear drive for the wheel, I am not familar with the chair version. If you are going to use this for commericial I wouldn't get a model smaller in HP than the 16HP. I am trying to convince Walker to make a 36" mulching deck since the world of mowing continues to get smaller but they just don't get it. I did buy their device to fit in the bin so you can throw grass out the back with the lid up partially. With some minor modification that works good when I don't want to mow.

4. Jason Rose

Ok, thanks a bunch for the info!

I'm not thrilled with the 13 hp for sure. The price he gave me over the phone was just "ballpark" but he said it "should bring right about $4,000".

I think 4,000 is nuts! I haven't seen the unit yet, but for a machine that's 10 years old or so and the smallest of the small version that seems HIGH to me. Honestly I thought he was going to say half of that. I have no idea what a new one costs in the model S or MC. Yeah I'd rather have the 16hp+ version, but there are so many floating around with BAD engines, and if they even run still people think the machine is made of gold and is priced accordingly.

Iv'e been watching E-bay. Iv'e seen machines with close to 4,000 hours selling for 6 grand.

I have owned a walker before, bigger 20hp 48", so I'm fimiliar with the cost and the maintenence issues with them. I would think that a 36" deck bagging only would be ok with 13 hp. That's about 'residential' power for a mower that size, and it's not going to be on the front lines mowing at top speed all day.

I guess when I go over there I can tell him what I think it's worth. He can either counter the offer or laugh at me and sell it to the next guy for his asking price.

Thanks again!

5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Jason, if you dont end up getting that, which dealer is it at? Also, if you do end up getting it, will your 33 inch be for sale?

6. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

That's the homeowner model isn't it? I could be wrong but I thought the smallest com was the 42in with the 16hp Kohler.

7. Jason Rose

Well that call it "Large homeowner, Light Commercial". It will accept the 36" GHS and SD, and the 42" GHS and Mulching. I think it would be waaay underpowered for a 42" mulcher, but that's not even why I'm looking at it...

You can actually put the 36" deck on ANY walker mower, catch is, you need the narrow drive tires if you want to get the tractor thru 36" areas.

I may still hold out for a 16 hp model. But like I said, there's so many out there with junk engines. I think it's the 16hp Kohler singles that you can't even get a shortblock for anymore so the whole engine has to be replaced and the walker replacement is very costly.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

From what I hear at our Dealer the 16HP is not lasting very long in the Walker application. I don't know why but the dealer is replacing them with the bigger engine like mine had in it. The $4000 is a lot but there aren't many true 36" bagging units. Those hang on baggers aren't worth anything on small lawns.