Walker 42 mulch deck or Ecmark 36 TTHP which mulches thick turf better?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dishboy, Apr 30, 2008.

1. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I see walker has revamped its 42 inch cool season mulching deck . Anybody used it who has also used the Exmark who can give a honest comparison? Cool season turf users only please.

2. Blueribbonlawns

Blueribbonlawns LawnSite Senior Member

The only reason you get a walker is to collect the grass its not made to mulch

3. dishboy

from zone 6

Check out the MB with the designated mulch deck. If it mulches as good as the TTHP and leaves as good as a cut it would be one productive machine in small to mediumn residential yards, and certainly better than walking.

4. Blueribbonlawns

Blueribbonlawns LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah i thought you were talking about a ghs system
    The mb is a good mower i have not heard one thing bad about walker and if i were you id go with the walker they always leave a awesome cut under any condition
    and it is a hill climbing mower awesome on hills.

5. dishboy

from zone 6

\

It seems no one has used the new mulching deck though.

6. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I just got mine in thursday and cut with it all day friday. I was very impressed. Mine came with the single mulch blade from walker, they also have a two blade option I'd like to try. In the thickest of grass where I'm cutting off more than 1.5" or so, it would bog down, but it handled most things just fine. This is all fescue also.

7. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Does the Walker deck mulch as good as the 21 inch Honda or Toro?

8. dishboy

from zone 6

Thanks for the input, I am about to spring for the MB with the 42 inch mulch deck, also am getting the 42 inch side discharge deck with a accelerator bag. The distributor here says they put a pin in the opposite side of the sd deck and it does not tip with weight and still floats.

9. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

that sounds like great advice.
    As far as matching a push mower for mulching capabilities, I'm just not sure. I no longer use my push mower.... ever....
    I certainly don't look at it and think... "boy I wish I had push mowed that yard, it would have mulched nicer."

10. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I would get a phazer with the 34" deck if you want the exmark quality cut. I had one and loved it.