Walker 42" mulch deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Precision Lawns, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I just purchased a new MB with a 42" Mulch deck. This is the new style deck and it came with one (weird looking) mulch blade per spindle.
    My question is, has anyone used both types of mulch setups on this deck? I just ordered the double blade mulch kit and I'm going to try those out when they come in. If you have used both which do you prefer?

2. timber132007

timber132007 LawnSite Member

I was wondering also how the mulching deck performs. I own a 42" GHS Walker mower and was considering getting a mulching deck for it. Can anyone weigh in on how the mulching deck with the various blade setups performs in warm season grasses(centipede/St. Augustine)?

3. Precision Lawns

Bump......

4. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I do not think you can use the double blade set up on the new style deck. I know the new wavy blades will not fit the old style. I have a old style mulcher deck [double blade] and I think the new decks will handle taller-thicker grass a little better.

5. Precision Lawns

why wouldn't you be able to use them on the new deck? I've heard the new decks handle better, I assumed it was a deck design change that makes them better and not the blades... I guess I'll have to try and report back.

6. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

As long as the grass is not too tall they work great [st augastine- bermuda is what I cut] . I have had the mulching deck on before and had people tell me they just love that vacume mower. I just tell them thank you and never tell them the difference. Having said that I very seldom change from the ghs to the mulching deck though.

7. Precision Lawns

I just contacted Walker MFG through their website and the response was that you can run both blade setups on the new deck style. I've ordered the double blade setup and will test them out and report back as soon as I make a decision.