1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walker 42" mulching deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DLS02, Jul 18, 2005.

1. DLS02

DLS02 LawnSite Member

I am thinking of buying a 42" mulching deck for my Walker to go along with my 42" GHS deck. It would mainly be used on Bermuda and Centipede cut weekly. Will this deck still leave a bagged appearance or would I be better off getting a 36" eXmark metro (fixed or floating deck?) with a mulch kit?
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I am trying to get Walker to make a 36" mulching deck for use in Metro areas where all yards have 36" gates. So far no luck but of course Gravely and Scag now have riding 36" or less size units for these markets. I still believe Walker is missing a nitch market. They are working on their edger that hooks on the mower??
  3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I used the Walker 42" mulch deck for 5 years. It can give a great cut if used correctly. First: If the grass is really thick, slow down, and let the deck get everything mulched good. Once in a while you might have to run over an area a second time if you hurry too much. Second: Keep the top blade, the flat one, really sharp. When the ends of the top blades get rounded off from wear, put on new ones. I used mine to cut St. Augustine, and Bermuda, and was very happy with that deck.