Walker 42" Mulching Deck ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Jun 16, 2001.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Any of you running this deck? If so can you run full speed with it? I'm thinking of putting one on my Walker MT w/ 20HP Kolher. What I want to know is will it slow me down any? Thanks for your input. Also feel free to e-mail me with any advice or suggestions you might have.
    Greatly Appreciated,
  2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have a Walker MT20 with the 42" mulching deck that I have been using for 3 mowing seasons now. I use it on about 35 lawns/week. I mow well watered & fertilized bermuda grass and St. Augustine grass mostly. The 20hp Kohler allows me to mow as fast as ground conditions allow and still get a good mulch job most of the time. I do have to slow down to a crawl if the St. Augustine is real wet as the deck will clog up with mulched grass. St. Aug. is tough to cut when it's thick, even in normal conditions. I also have a 42" GHS deck, but I only use it for leaf cleanups. I run the mulching deck 8 months/yr. I have noticed that the upper set of blades get worn off on the ends pretty quickly. When this happens, it doesen't mulch as nice. I have to replace the top blades 3 times as often as the bottom blades.I am very pleased with the Walker setup I have.:D
  3. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i have one for a 16hp that is used in a cemetary and it has performed perfectly. i had an sd deck, but the discharge stuck out too far and tended to leave yellow on the headstones (if it won the battle)

it does not slow me down any, i actually prefer it over the bigger decks for manueverability, i can zip around a lot faster with less weight.
  4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

should not be any issues .....just keep the blades sharp :->