Walker 52" Deck Question ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, May 26, 2001.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Any of you have any experience with the Walker 52" SD/Mulching Deck? If so how would you rate it's cutting preformance? I have a 54" SD deck and would like to go back to being able to mulch. Thanks for you advice. Have a safe Holiday Weekend !

2. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

I've had very good success with the 52" mulch kit.
    But, I have not found another deck the cuts as nice as the 54", and the offset is great in cemeteries.
  3. toroboy

toroboy LawnSite Member

4. toroboy

toroboy LawnSite Member

I mean that 52" decks are awsome they cut good and they their big , so it does no ttake htat long to cut a lawn. I HOPE THIS HELPS.:D
  5. Pro-Lawn

Pro-Lawn LawnSite Member

It just got done raining 3 days back to back here, and i was able to use my 52in Mulching deck all day long, and the lawns looked great. Now let me note i did not cut as short as i usually do , but we are behind schedule due to all the rain, so were just going to double up and run thru them to keep all my lawns under control. Because fear of more rain on the way .
    My opinion 52inMulch kicks butt!! http://pro-lawncare.com :blob3:
  6. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 52" SD/Mulching deck... Want to buy it?? Kidding.

I am very pleased with the way it cuts. Good even cut, and looks nice. But if you want to mulch leaves.... forget it. You will spend half your time chasing the leaves down and will need to shower afterwards. <g> Also the kit can be difficult to install. Takes about 1/2 hour. But since I mulch 95% of the time I leave the kit on.

Something about the design of the deck while the mulch kit is on makes it act like a blower. Leaves, debris, clippings all are blown out from the deck over the top and all over the operator. I have a friend that also has one, but he bolted a piece of 4" wide rubber baler belt to the front of his deck and stopped this from happening. I have not installed this on mine yet but when I do I'll let you know how it works.

I also have a 42" mulching deck which I use most of the time and I love it. I do not have any problems with debris rolling over the top and all over me.

7. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

JJ Lawn
    Try adjusting the front of your deck higher than the back when doing leaves, it works well for me.

I've been cutting in the rain for almost 2 weeks, its been doing great.

I am also doing flood cleanup along the river in grass 8"-12" tall and does well also. I did remove the baffles to do this, but left the double blades in the saddles.

The 52" and 62" decks have the cold rolled steel around the edge really helps out in cemetaries.
  8. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have tried what you suggested about raising the front of the deck higher, but I have one of the new tilt-up decks. Has a scalloped front edge. When you put on the mulch kit it makes 3 seperate chambers and it seems to act as a blower. The blades do not have very much pick-up (suction). Also could be a combination of the blade design. I am still trying to figure out the purpose for the fins(pointing down) on the top blades, and why the top blade is upside down. Putting the rubber skirt on does work, and will do that when I get time.