1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walker 52" deck, who has one?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowingman, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am thinking about getting a 52" deck for my 20HP Walker, and wanted to know how good they work. Currently I have a 42" GHS deck and a 42" mulching deck.
    1. Does it mulch well with the mulch kit on it?
    2. Does the cut look good when you just side discharge?
    3. Does the 20HP Walker have enough power to run the 52" deck?
    The rep. for the distributor says the 20HP will do fine with this deck. I would really like to hear that from someone actually using this deck. Thanks.
  2. Lawn Cops

Lawn Cops LawnSite Member

I am also looking at buying the 52. But I can only vouch for the power. I have used a 20 hp. with the 48 before and it did a great job. I have a 26 efi with a 48 and it does awesome....
  3. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have the 52" decks to run on our Walkers, we have 2 efi's and 1 25hp and power the deck fine! I would get the speed up kit ($20.00) you will like the 52" for its belt driven not gearbox driven, so if you strike something the belts will slip instead of gearbox failure. Get your earplugs the thing sounds like a cesna airplane when wound up.
  4. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

52" are the best, i prefer running without the baffles, but with the doubles.

i did make a discharge plate (ocdc of sorts)

great cut and very tough too!

20hp is plenty, i run mine with a 16hp!!
  5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Capt. Devo,
    Are the doubles like the ones on the 42" mulch deck? Do they come with the mulch baffle kit, or do you have to order them extra?
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

That is one great deck. I made the switch last year as I also have a 42GHS that I used to use the no catch deflector with. No comparison. The 52" (get the tip up) is a monster and it is equipped with doubles. I have the mulch kit but never used it. The deck is loud as stated but it is a good loud.:p
    The difference in time spent cutting is also noticable.

You won't go wrong with that deck. I have a 26EFI so I can't comment on power because I have too much but CaptDevo knows his stuff and if he says it will run it, it will.
  7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I also have the 52" deck and power it with the 26efi. It does an awesome job as far as the cut. Looks as though you have bagged it. It is loud, but sounds of "POWER". In the spring when the grass is tall and wet you might have to double cut some, but usually only on bi-weekly accounts. In the summer it's not a problem. As stated before, get the "tilt up" model, this makes changing blades easily, but this comes at a price......around $1,000 more for just that feature. I paid $1650 for mine slightly used. They are around $2200 new. I have seen used models that don't tilt up anywhere from $450 to $600. That's not a bad price, but you will need to change blades and clean the underneath, so the tilt up is recommend. I have heard everyone say to use the double blade setup and not the baffle system....that is which I run. I have never tried the baffle system. I am not sure how the double blade setup is on the 42", but the 52" uses a small bracket/block that holds the two blades parallel to each other. The only thing I can say I don't like about the deck is that it discharges grass and that causes more of a mess than mulching. I would like to just try the baffle system once, but not bad enough to buy it and later decide I don't like it.

I would search around for a used deck, they are out there, especially the non-tilt models and for cheap. But again, I would not recommend them. Get in touch with Capt Devo, he might be able to help you out.