Walker 62 inch or 74 inch?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Behring, May 8, 2013.

1. Behring

Behring LawnSite Member
    Male, from NW Iowa

I have landed a few bigger accounts this year and am looking for some feedback on either of these decks. It would be great to hear from anyone that has ran both and which they prefer.

I run 2 walkers now, MT 26hp 48 inch ghs and MBK 23hp with 56 inch sd. I would like to have the flexibility of putting a larger deck on either mower. A 74 inch deck is A LOT of deck for most of my properties but could make up for it at others. The 62 inch deck seems heavy and bulky compared to what I know and run now, but a lot more manageable on medium to larger properties. Just looking for some feedback from you past and present walker guys. I do love my 56 inch gear driven deck and I am considering another one, but I would still prefer a larger deck. Thanks in advance.

2. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

If you can keep busy with big accounts go with the 72. If you will be using it on residential don't go over a 62. You will find a lot of places where a 62 will fit but a 72 won't. I go through many many gates a 72 won't

3. aroddy

aroddy LawnSite Senior Member

Are you going to try to run a 62'' or 74'' on the MBK23?!?!

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have an old 62" that I run on my MT 20 hp. Works great on nice lawn or as a brush hog. The bigger the deck, the flater the ground needs to be so you don't scalp.

5. agent walker

agent walker LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the 74 . I have 2 for my mtghs 26hp efi. Have run them on 20hp in a pinch, but thats a pretty big load. They go in smaller yards then you think and you're done in no time.