Walker Advise

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jangler91, Jan 7, 2005.

1. jangler91

jangler91 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I've always heard if you own a Walker you either love them or hate em. I bought a used Walker at the end of the season last year, which the guy assured me their was nothing wrong with, and a week after the purchase it's been in my shop more than on my trailer. It's a GHS with a 16hp Kohler. After rewiring and rebuilding part of the drive train it's running but the quality of the cut and pickup isn't what everybody makes it out to be. I can get my Wright or Toros and get as good if not a better looking job. It's processing some of what I go over and discharging to the catcher but it sure seems like it just doesn't created much vacuum. Same cut with new blades or old ones. I mean it works, but I sure though it would perform better. When I tested it I was on some manicured lawns and I thought it just needed new blades to give it some lift. Thought I'd checked this one out but I'm finding out different. Makes me a little gun shy on buying used equipment.

2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

16 HP is just not enough to bag .... especially St. Aug even my 20 HP had issues at peak growth time .... a 25 HP is more in line ... I'd take it in to a dealer n have the mechanic check it out .... the blower box may have issues

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

How does the blower housing look? Is the blower impeller in good shape? They leave a really nice cut normally and vacuum great so I'd check that first

4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Also if you need an almost new .... n I mean almost new 42" GHS deck I have one .... less than 200 hrs on it .... bout 3 hrs from your location ... PM if interested

5. Mowmoregrass

Mowmoregrass LawnSite Member

Check your engine RPMS

6. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

That thing should suck better than a $2 hooker! We have a 48" 26hp ghs. you can see it sucking things in from 8" outside the deck! Best investment we have ever made.

Chris

7. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

if the blower impeller is not new (ish) it's suction is greatly reduced I found + have you checked and cleaned out the screen above the box where the clippings are held it must be totally free and clean for max air flowI bought mine used to first thing i changed was the blower inpeller.mine is the 20 hp but I have used the one you got and as long as everything is sharp and clean it worked fine. 2 cents fro :waving: m me

8. Mowmoregrass

Walker makes a screen with larger dia. holes, that improves air flow.
    I am a walker dealer. Check your engine rpms!

9. jangler91

jangler91 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Thanks for the tips guys. I've already been looking at the blower and it does have some wear on the tips of the veins but haven't even thought about the screen. I'll let you know.

10. Mowmoregrass

I use to cut in a sandy area also. The sand causes the blowers to wear out quickly. You can upgrade to a heavier duty blower.