Walker Aerator

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wilson Edge, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Wilson Edge

Wilson Edge LawnSite Member

Hey what do you guys know about the new aerator attachment for the walker mowers....they look like they would work well and fast. Does anyone know any prices on one? ive always subbed out my aerating but have thought about getting into it this year.

2. oghfm24

oghfm24 LawnSite Member

I have never operated the Perforator but I know it has an indicator on it that shows the optimum speed to get the desired coverage. I have a Millcreek 40" aerator for sale which is effective at any ground speed. It mounts on the front of the walker after you remove the deck. The perforator is around $2800, I want $750 for my Millcreek and it has less than 5 hours on it.

3. lawnbutch

lawnbutch LawnSite Member
    from Colo.

The aerator that is made for the Walker is manufactured by Plugr Aerators and from what I've heard they work very well.

4. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

It works very well. It is pto driven and plugs the snot out of the lawn. It is a little intimidating at first but once you get used to it it does a great job! It's been around long enough now that most of the kinks have been fixed. some of the first ones had some weak points but new designs and heavier gear boxes seemed to have fixed the problem.

One thing I notice is that my walkbehind aerator covers the ground with plugs. The Perforator tends to smash the plugs and then the mower runs over them so that at first look you will not see the heavy batches of plugs on top of the grass. I've had some customers request the walk-behind aerator because they like the sight of all those plugs.

I think the Perforator actually does a better job of aerating, it just tends to hide the evidence!

Good machines and well built. I think around here they are running in the low 3,000.00 dollar range.

5. oghfm24

oghfm24 LawnSite Member

The Millcreek also throws plugs but does not require the PTO to be driven. Those plugs will dissolve the first good rain. If ya gotta pay 4 times the price, it better do 4 times the job. The Millcreek has a lot less moving parts to maintain IMO. Most of my lawns are smaller though and I can get by with an Aeroller.

6. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the Mill Creek aerator for the walker, the perfaerator for the Walker, and two different size Pluggrs. The Perfaerator and the Pluggrs work exactly the same. As a matter of fact, the same tines work in them. the one mounted to the walker does exactly like the previous poster said, it tends to bust up the plugs a bit and you run them over. Does a great job, but not as fast as they say it will. The mill creek does well if the ground is not bone dry, but not many aerators will do well in those conditions.

BTW... the perfaerator is $3700 after taxes. That is one brand new October 2007

7. lawnbutch

lawnbutch LawnSite Member
    from Colo.

Who handles the Mill Creek?? Do you have their web site?? Thanks

8. oghfm24

oghfm24 LawnSite Member

Millcreek Mfg. does. They made several predicated on a contract that Walker never followed thru on, or Millcreek maybe just thought they had an agreement. According to the salesman I got the last one to ever leave their factory, however replacement parts are readily available. They have a website.

9. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I owned a Millcreek and it just did not work for my application. We put all kinds of weights on the tray and tried it in a variety of conditions but it just did not pull plugs or perform the way I expected it too.

I ended up returning it to the dealer and he took it back no problem.