Walker aftermarket blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by adonovan, Aug 18, 2002.

1. adonovan

adonovan LawnSite Member
    from Mass

Anybody use "generic" aftermarket blades w/ your 48" Walkers? If so, how well do they work? Same difference as the name brand or are they junk? Do you also use aftermarket oil and air filters or Kohler genuine stuff?

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I use a mulching blade from gator. After you install them, turn them by hand to see if they will rub your deck, mine did. The gators have little fins on the top of the blades that might need to be ground down just a hair. By having mulching blades you can pack the **** out of your collection box. As far and the filter go, I always went through my local dealer and used the name brands. I never considered using aftermarket filters, but sounds interesting on how they rate and cost.

MATT

3. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I found some after market filters for oil and air. They seemed to do OK.

As far as the blades, Gator blades are probably OK. I used some on my Toro WB and had good luck. But I got some very cheap after market blades for my first Walker, the 36". Man were they ever trash. Could not hold an edge for very long and wore down way fast.

4. adonovan

adonovan LawnSite Member
    from Mass

What company sold you the junk Walker blades that went dull quickly? Thanks for the time.

5. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I have no idea. This was back in 97 or 98. My uncle has a small engine repair shop. He got them for me out of one of his catalogs.

6. hustlers

hustlers LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

replacement blades are **** metal
    use them a week and throw em away

I lost a gear box 200$ due to gator
    blades on my walker which were manufactured
    wrong and no warranty.

7. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Stens have a good after market blade for the 48" GHS deck. It could be my imagination,but they are the same thickness steel but
    seem to be lighter in weight. I get about 100hrs out of them.

8. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i use einstein and raptors!

they have given me great results! hold a good edge for a long time and are quite cheaper!

let me know if your interested, i stock them.

dave

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

If you want, drop me an email dave, I am interested in some for my 48 GHS and 52 mulcher.

mattu1@msn.com

Thanks
    MATT

10. adonovan

adonovan LawnSite Member
    from Mass

Hustler,
    What did gators do to your gearbox? Was it the HD (heavy-duty) upgrade? Where did you get them? Sounds like a tough little lesson to learn! Thanks for any input, I appreciate it.

Captdevo,
    Do you have a landscape supply shop? If so, shoot me some prices for 1. gators 2. regular normal lift blades (both for 48" ghs walker setup). Thanks again, boys.