Walker bagger system loosing suction

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by J & M Lawn Care, Feb 28, 2008.

1. J & M Lawn Care

J & M Lawn Care LawnSite Member

i have a 42in 20hp walker, bought it brand new, as of now its 5 months old. I have been mowing with it for a while. Which i have noticed when i bag grass and leaves at 2.5(mowing level) that i either have to go over the same path 2 times for it to pick up good or lower the deck, which when i lower the deck it scraps the grass.

I would figure if the cutting height is at 2.5 or higher it should pick up very good.

I went to my dealer and they told me that air is getting under it, cause the grass isnt growing much. I think he was telling me a bunch of bull. Cause i have seen yards clean as a whisle when the grass isnt growing when bagged.

At times, if there is a bunch of leaves, it will only pick up half of them.

When i bag a yard i want it to be clean, not leaves and all still in the yard

Any idea what could be wrong.......
    ----------
    i also have a 60in 23hp exmark with a triton deck, when i mulch with it, it does a half but job also, it leaves trails of grass and leaves from the right side of the deck once mowed, i have the deck encloded so the grass cant be thrown out... any idea y its not mulching correctly

2. J & M Lawn Care

anyone with advice.....

3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Your blower belts and pulleys look them over.:waving:

4. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like a Clogg in the GHS system flip up the deck and check for debris in the chute, or it could be in the impeller housing with mower off, lift up the front shell and spin the impeller, look in housing for debris. start up mower engage PTO and see if it will "unload" the clogg.

5. J & M Lawn Care

the mower is about 5 months old, it may be time for new blades again. Yeah i have had that happen several times about debris getting clogged in the chute and i clean it out. Maybe something is clogged that i cant see or something, or it could be the belts. It shouldnt need a belt already i wouldnt think since the mower is only 5 months old

i will check what you have said and see what happends

what if there isnt no debris anywhere, what could be the problem then, the belt? or needing new blades

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Have you verified that the engine is running the correct RPM at full throttle?

I know that Walkers are touted for their "perfect cut" but I don't find that always to be the case either. There's times when they don't cut worth a crap... Thin grass, such as shaded areas, is hard to cut, wants to lay it over rather than cut it. Only solution is to go slow and always have razor sharp blades.

7. nosparkplugs

The belts are self tensioning, I broke the drive belt the first day, had my mobile repair guy come out since I did not have a spare

8. J & M Lawn Care

so if there is no debris clogged up, then it could be the belt?

9. prowalker

prowalker LawnSite Member

I can almost 99% tell you the blades are on wrong,swap sides and re-try.

10. nosparkplugs

Ok, the drive belt does not have any effect on th PTO belt two different belts, hence when my drive belt broke I was like what the $@#$# the blades & impeller were still screaming, but I was stopped dead on the turf. A dam pine cone nicked the drive belt causing it to fail what a shot. Have you checked the "sheer" bolts on the blades or the driveshaft universal "sheer" pin.