walker bent drive shaft

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bababooie, Apr 26, 2003.

1. bababooie

bababooie LawnSite Member

how common is it to bend the drive shaft on a ghs walker,my dealer said its because i cut in some slopes that are too steep going back up the drive hits the frame of the machine.it seems that any little ditch it could happen,i know now to go with the ditch than to try to cut into to it but like i said some times even the smallest ditch or whole it can happen. have you expierenced this problem also
  2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Nope, you're obviously a better man than I. :D

Tough break, I hope you can get it fixed reasonably. Seems like something you ought to be able to fix yourself.
  3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

bababooie, do a quick search on here for bent shaft. One of the guys did it on thier machine before. I also have a bent one on my flip up deck. It bent while lifting the deck up to change blades. The universal was is the exact spot to bind with the other half and me givng a little of a healthy push bent the shaft. We've put over 400 hours on it and still haven't changed the shaft. It doesn't seem to hurt anything so I will change it when I have to. It will depend on how badly your's is bent if you have to change it or not. I think it is also possible to bend the shaft when going up or down a steep angle but I would bet you did it while lifting the deck.
  4. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have 3 Walkers and none with those problems! We mow some big hills with ours and only sparatic problem is the PTO shear pin snaps do too drastic mowing conditions. On your PTO shaft are you putting the shaft on the splined shaft all the way (do you have the splined PTO shaft or the box shaped PTO?)