walker blades dissengage

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by hage1, Jun 8, 2008.

1. hage1

hage1 LawnSite Member

I have a mid 90s Walker MC. Today, when I went to cut the grass, the mower started, I engaged the blades, and went about 20ft into the lawn, and the blades dissengaged. The mower did not stop running, just the blades. I went back to the driveway, the blades came back on by themselves. Back into the lawn, the blades quit. After awhile of this, I could not get the blades to engage. I pulled the wires off the PTO switch and put them on again. Blades then engaged, for about 20ft then turned off. Occasionally they would try to come back on. What is the most likely cause for this problem. Thanks to you Walker gurus.

2. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

wire has a short or one of the switches is going bad

3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a bad ground. Does this MC have the electric clutch on it? I thought all walkers where manual clutches.

4. hage1

hage1 LawnSite Member

It has an electric clutch. I suspect, a bad switch or maybe the battery isn't charging. I will check the charging tomorrow. I was hoping this was a common problem and the Walker guys would say, "that's just the grubensator.......etc"
    thanks.

5. Itsgottobegreen

Well like I said, just the ground. Pull all the electrical connectors off and clean them. Put some dieelectric grease on them.

6. hage1

hage1 LawnSite Member

Thanks, I'll get some dielectric grease (hardware store?) pull the connectors off the switch (there are four or five wires there), clean the connectors, put on the grease, and reconnect them. Does that sound correct? Thanks again

7. Itsgottobegreen

Well get some electrical connector clean too, if not just used brake cleaner.

8. hage1

hage1 LawnSite Member

I cleaned up the connections with contact cleaner. At first all seemed well. Now I have discovered the blades only dissengage on a hill. I can cut the back yard, which is flat, but not the front, which slopes away from the house. I have ordered a new PTO clutch switch. If this hill problem means anything to anybody, let me know what you think.
    thanks to all the pros,
    CRH

9. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like your seat switch is not adjusted properly. Try disconnecting the wire to the seat switch to see if it stays on. If it does then you may need to adjust the switch by screwing it in farther. I just leave mine disconnected.

10. hage1

hage1 LawnSite Member

Changing the PTO switch did not help. I then noticed that wires went from there, to the key switch. This connection seemed loose. I cleaned the connections and this seems to have worked. I was able to cut all my grass. If it happens again I will certainly check that seat switch. I had assumed that if you disconnected it, the blades would not work. It's nice to know that it is just the opposite.
    thanks much