Walker Blades (OEM vs Clones)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcambrose, Dec 4, 2002.

1. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I had been buying replacment blades from JThomas, but they seem to be substantially thinner (0.160" thick) than the Walker OEM blades. Does anyone know if this is true? Is there a replacement blade maker that has the same thickness as the OEM blade? If not, how much do the OEM blades cost?

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I used gators on my ghs deck and they were about $15 from the dealer, but I think they were about $8 from Landscaper Supply. Not sure about the thickness. OEM blades for the 52" deck were about $30 from the dealer. That's about all I know.

MATT

3. dukester

dukester LawnSite Member

I've got 8 sets of from JThomas for my 48" GHS. They are thinner than the set that came with the mower. But, I haven't had any trouble with them. The price is about half what my dealer wants. Even after I pay for shipping. Duke

4. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

I have used blades from JThomas and haven't noticed a difference. I have them on my Walker GHS but yet haven't found them for my 52". They seem to work fine for me!

5. walker-talker

from Midwest

I have been getting repeated emails about the use of gator blades on the walker ghs decks and that is fine, I don't mind helping. Below is a response that I sent in my last email, maybe it will clear somethings up about the use of gators. Also, if you do a search using "walkers and gators" you will find about 10 different threads

Yes, I use the gators on my 48" GHS deck. The gators have fins on them, one
    blade will have 4 fins and the other will have 3 fins. One fin on each blade
    rubbed the underneath of my deck. All I did was took a grinder to the fins
    that rubbed, only taking off about 1/16th of an inch. I purchased these
    blades 2 years ago. I was told the the company that makes gators fixed this
    problem, but I don't know that first hand. The gators mulch the grass well
    and you can get more grass in the hopper, resulting in less frequent dumping
    of the hopper. I hope this has answered your questions.

Good luck
    MATT

6. David Shaw

David Shaw LawnSite Member

I got some Raptors from Capt. Devo for my 48" GHS. They're basically the same thing as Gators except no grinding needed.

7. walker-talker

from Midwest

I might have to check them out, what did you give for them?

MATT

8. David Shaw

I got some Raptors from Capt. Devo for my 48" GHS. They're basically the same thing as Gators except no grinding needed.

9. David Shaw

Uh how in the heck did my post get on here twice? Well anyway if I remember right I gave about $30 maybe a little less for the pair. I would have to do some digging to find out for sure. I do know it was cheaper to get them from Capt. Devo and have him mail them to me than to get them from my local dealer. Dave