Walker Blower Removal

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TheChiefsLawnCare, Dec 2, 2012.

1. american dream

american dream LawnSite Senior Member

We have been through two ,it does not take much to put a hurt on one!
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. ericg

ericg LawnSite Silver Member

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have 2100 hours on my blower and that is the roughest material being passed thru it. Spring dethatchings and fall leaf cleans. Its gonna break if you run a rebar thru it but they hold up well to most everyday use as well as tougher apps.

4. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

My blower box was replaced about 4 years ago after sucking up a end cut from a oak tree. The tree service didn't pick up all the stub cuts...........cost me 400.00 to replace.
    The manual isn't always helpful as words do not tell you of troubles. Rusted bolts, pullies, and pulley pins can break or shear. I would let your repair shop do this task unless you have a full day to try your luck.
    You haven't tried the starter yet.............you haven't tried to rebuild the deck gearbox have you?? The walker is a unique mower that must be taken care of. It is tough and it is tough to work on. Most if not all major replacements on this mower can and will take a single person 3 to 4 hours to perform.

Good Luck!!

5. american dream

Changed mine out first time in bout 4 hours,it ain't that tuff!
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Not saying it isn't a mystery to change one out...........all I am saying is if a person doesn't really know the workings of the Walker, the time spent taking it off with other damage that usually occurs will cost more in down time.

I have changed all three of the hardest items I listed, including the pto gearbox. That isnt pleasant either.

7. american dream

Nothing like one on one time with your machine!
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. ericg

ericg LawnSite Silver Member

Walkers are very labor intensive machines but I believe they have one of the best cuts in the business. We have eight Walkers so I have become very experienced in a short time on how to effect repairs. The pto box is a pia but after a while, I can tell you that you can change one out within an hour, no problem. The blowers are a pain as well but if you get the machine high enough, it will drop out without any issues.

9. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, ive changed the pto gearbox and the 2 blade gear boxes aswell. wasnt touch, just took some time.

10. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

2100 hours on a blower? Holy crap I'm surprised there's anything left. We probably have sandier soils than you, but around here it only takes 600 to 800 hours to wear out a blower. Bet if you replaced yours you would notice it performs better.
    I pull the deck off, back the front tires onto car ramps and put the back on blocks. Will be easier to replace your starter once the blower is out as well.
    Posted via Mobile Device