walker clogging up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bababooie, May 2, 2002.

1. bababooie

bababooie LawnSite Member

im a new owner of the walker,is there any way to avoid clogging up ,it seems even a heavy dew will clog up,mainly underneath the deck right when it goes in the bottom tube,and im not cutting it too low,i almost dont want to use it until the afternoon when it dries up?will doubles help?efi26hp is what i have.:cry:

2. Bruce

Bruce LawnSite Member
    from MN

I have a 20 hp walker.Never had it clog once even in wet grass after a rain.Maybe try slowing down a bit that might help.

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Make sure the screen in the hopper is clean. When the screen plugs, the air cannot flow out as quick and it clogs.
    The ghs is not real great for very wet tall grass. It will work but you can't go more than a crawl. I also suggest that you keep the deck scraped and the blades sharp. By far, the screen is the problem.

4. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Like MowEd said,check your screen. I just brush it clean with my hand after each time I dump. Also try raising the rear of the deck
    one hole higher than the front so that the deck has a slight nose
    down angle. I found that this helps in wet grass.

I hope you enjoy your new mower,that 26 EFI is great.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have had my 42" GHS deck clog when mowing thick wet grass. I found that I just needed to slow down a little to avoid this problem.:)

6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

In really wet grass I just remove the screen completely.

7. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Off topic but still Walker related.

I recently went from the 48ghs to the 42 (gates) tired of pulling the deck to do a 10 minute job. I am finding that the 42 seems to cut higher than the 48. Generally I cut the lawns on fifth hole with the 48. With this new deck (42) it seems that the 5th hole is almost where the 6th was on the 48. I know there is a weight difference.
    Anybody else notice this difference?

8. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

Currier,
    I can say the same about the 48"GHS vs 52" SD/Mulcher.

The 52" needs to be raised at least one notch higher in every case in order to cut at a similar height. Apparently the weight is a huge factor.

Roger

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

That is absolutely true about the heights. I have a 52SD and a 42 GHS and the holes are way off between the 2. I also know that the 26efi spins em both fine but the 52 moves along slower than the 42 and the weight is a huge factor as said.

10. theplantdoctor

theplantdoctor LawnSite Member

We use a GHS 48" and the 42" mulching deck. They use different holes to achive the same grass height. The holes also changed on the 48" when we upgraded the carrier frame to a tilt up. The posts on the deck are quite different in size between the newer 42" and the older 48".

Ken