Walker Copycat- Toro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hustlers, Sep 4, 2002.

1. hustlers

hustlers LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

I saw an ad for $8k for a Toro GHS bagging mower, which is
    a copycat of the Walker. I have the walker but muchco $$$

Anybody ever used one and seen the bagging & how
    good does it Cut compared to the Walker
  2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i think it has a few differences from a walker, mainly the bagger/bin
  3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Before I bought my Walker I demoed a Toro for a day. I think Walker makes a better overall mower. The Toro is alittle fancier, but the cut quality wasn't as good as the Walker. They both have similar features. One thing I didn't like about the Toro was that you had to push forward on the steering levers all the time since they act as your forward and reverse controls as well. The Walker has seperate controls. The Toro got clogged a few times, Walker seemed to suck the grass right up. I got the 48" deck on my Walker and it is much lower than Toros deck making it easier for me on my residential accounts. I can get under fences, shrubs etc cutting down on trimming time. The Toro was a nice machine, I think it boils down to personal preferance. Have your local dealers give you demos, I learned alot by taking them on my accounts and seeing how they handled on terrain I was used to.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Bunyton makes one too.
  5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

scag makes one now too, looks almost identical except for the fenders. i think their's is a 10 bushel hopper (like 90 gallons!). not sure if they have a blower wheel and counter rotating blades like a walker tho.
  6. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

exmark even had the toro cloned into their explorer model, i remember seeing one on ebay months back:)

wouldn't it be nice if you could swap walker deck onto a toro,exmark.scag,bobcat , you could pay less upfront, and then have the multi deck option like walkers' do.

Talk about problems and misalignments for sure!!!

*If you own an aforementioned machine, do not attempt to swap decks to a different machine other than the Mfg's stock deck.
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

You can try em all but in the end there is only one machine like the Walker.

I tried a Scag on my properties for 2 days and hated it. It was built heavy but it couldn't perform like the Walker.
    I looked at the Toro and didn't like the controls.

I too was skeptical about the machine and the price but I know that I made the right decision for the lawns that I maintain.
  8. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't like the Toro's controls either. I feel that if you have to catch (bag) grass,then the Walker GHS is the best option.
  9. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

Toro brand new is $8k this year. Dealer has sold about 20 this year big increase. The controls i feel are better than the walker since there is no fast slow control on the right hand side. Also the toro has a mulching/ghs deck as one. With the walker you will need an additional deck for about $2k to mulch. I would demo but personally i would buy the toro. I do have the option of both havent seen a walker on a trailer yet. JD dealer carries walker though and thats a whole other story. Toro should be about $1000 cheaper and you dont need a second deck. However the drive wheels stick out more on the toro than the walker and you cant interchange decks.
    Toro doesnt have half the attachments walker carries either but each attatchment is another $2k+.
  10. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

My old partner has the Toro 355 and hates it. Kicks himself in the butt every time he sees a Walker on a trailer. He demo'ed the Walker and says there is NO COMPARISON, he hates his 355 now.