Walker cut off abruply...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by salemtiger, Aug 5, 2004.

1. salemtiger

salemtiger LawnSite Member

I have a walker mower that cut off as I was taking it off the trailor, I can crank it and it will run anywhere from a second to eight seconds, but will not stay cranked. It has a koeler 25hp solid state ignition, I pulled a plug and it appears that there is no spark when not running, I changed the plugs, made sure I has gas and air, I found a encapsulated modual mounted on top of a relay modual on the right drive, it has a plug that connects to a edge connector both the plug contacts and the edge connector contacts were corodded, cleaned them but no help, anyone know what this modual is for?. Any thoughts as to what the problem could be? The Walker dealer says he is backlogged and can not look at it for three weeks. Any help would be appreciated.

Robert

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Let me guess. Here is how it goes. You crank it and it starts right up but as soon as you let go of the key and the starter drops out the engines dies just like you shut it off. The fuel solenoid and Smart Pak solid state ignition (black box about the size of a pack of cigarettes on engines cover) must have 12 volts to run. They are TWO routes that supply that power. One it though the starter circuit and the other is though the run circuit. Your run circuit is not working. This could be in the switch or the harness plug where the engine wiring mates to the mower wiring. You will find this plug just above the starter where the fuse and relay are. If you do a power check at the fuel solenoid (it is the easiest place to get to) you will see 12 volts at start up but you will lose power to the fuel solenoid as soon as you let go of the key. I work in a Walker Dealership and have seen this happen more than once. Where you clean the harness connector put some Dielectric connector grease in the plug, you can get it at any auto parts store. This will keep the water and trash out of the plug.

3. fixer67

Here is something that may help. You can download Kohler service manuals for FREE at the Kohler web site.
    Note>Smart Pak is the same as Spark Advance Module

sam.jpg

4. salemtiger

salemtiger LawnSite Member

Thanks for the schematic on the starter/run circuit. I will make a check at the fuel solenoid and see if that is the problem, the thing is that sometimes it will not start at all and sometimes if it does start it might run for eight seconds, but never any longer.
    Can you tell me what the encapsulated module with the four pin edge connector that is mounted on top of a relay on the right drive is used for?

Thanks again for your help, I am sure glad I found this site, seems like we have some very knowledgeable people here.:)

Robert

5. fixer67

You must be talking about one of the relays. Walker uses relays for starting and PTO switching and just about every thing. Does the picture look like what you are talking about?

There is another module that is wider and thinner than the relay. That is the Seat Time Out Delay module. That is so if you hit a bump and come off the seat it gives about a 2 second delay before killing the engine giving you just enough time to land back in the seat. There is a black ground wire that comes from that module and is grounded by the screw that holds the module in place. Clean the paint so it can get a good ground. If it does not get a good ground it will act up. I do not have a picture of the Seat Time Out Delay module to post.

walker relay.jpg