1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walker Deck Cutting Unlevel

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcambrose, Feb 6, 2003.

1. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

One of my 42in. decks really cuts terrible when I go side to side on hills. Does anyone have suggestions of what to check. I checked the level on the garage floor before I went to cut using a ruler measuring from the garage floor to the bottom of the deck. Are there some things that happen when the deck is at an angle that don't show up on a level surface. The hill is not so steep that I have any trouble going side to side.

I would like to fix it before I start scalping lawns in about 3 weeks.
  2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Without seeing it I would have you check the nylon bushings that the height adjustment pins go thru. They can crack and then the deck may not track level at an angle. The bushings are white and are held with a Jesus clip. Other than that I don't know what else to tell you except that the deck floats and it isn't a terribly heavy deck so you may have to put a foot down on the deck to hold the high side down when you mow. Let me know if you find anything.
  3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

One of our older units has this issue .... cuts bout 1/4 lower on the left side .... n I did what what Mow Ed suggest ... just kept some foot pressure on it ....

Than one of my guys said .... "why don't you take a piece of wood (shim kinda) that is the same thickness of the normal gap plus the amount its off ..... wedge the wood below the frame arm of the side it is off .... n use the strip ties to hold it against the bottom side of the frame arm"

I was like ..... duh .... works like a charm ... coarse this kinda dampens the "floating" effect .... but this unit is mainly back-up ...n works great on flat terrain
  4. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Mel,

is it doing the same each direction? (left side downhill vs. right side downhill)

check height pin bushings as Ed suggested.

drive tire pressure, wear and stiffness (plies) will play a large part as well.

check deck wheel bearings and caster bearings for play.

make sure deck springs and tilt hinge are adjusted properly

btw......i tried to call you back, you must have been in the hills.