Walker - Deck Gearboxes Running Without Oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcambrose, Nov 25, 2002.

1. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

Unfortunately one of my decks hit a stump yesterday and broke a tooth off in one of the right angle gear boxes. That deck was one that was only used a few hours this summer because it is on an older 16hp machine. When I opened the gearbox I found it totally out of oil as well as the other two deck gear boxes. None had leaked out since hitting the stump, so the deck must have been dry for some time. I had noticed that the deck was seeming louder, but I wasn't sure. I don't usually check unless I see evidence of oil leaking into a blade cup. It seems that only the bearing on the bottom of the gear box with the damaged gear has a problem. I will go ahead and change the seals in both of the righ angle boxes to try to make sure the oil doesn't leak. Anyone else had a gearbox run dry for a while without damaging it? Note I didn't find hardly any metal filings. I thought I would find metal everywhere.

2. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I had one pretty low for awhile.

Where is the guy that was hoping you wouldn't have to change gear boxes every 1000 hours? He should hear this.

3. Andrew S

Andrew S LawnSite Member

Remember the six "P"s

Prior
    Planning
    Prevents
    Piss
    Poor
    Performance

In other words service all your equipment as much as possible,a machine serviced will give you longer life and reduced down time.

ps:Like others before me I have learn't this the hard way

thanks

Andrew:D

4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I love my Walker, it's a tank.

30 hours on it, and it's really getting broke in good. That thing sucks the chrome off a bumper.

The more I use it the more I like it. Did I say it's a goat? I get on some hills and slopes that have me scared to death but you sit so low in the saddle it just sticks to the hill like a mountain goat.

I got it with the HP gearbox, glad I dont have to worry about greasing spindles and adding oil for about 3 years!!!!

Did I say I love my Walker? Well I do.

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry to hear about that. I imagine that you will check those gearboxes a little more frequently from now on. Hopefully not too much damage was done. I wish you the best of luck with the repair of the seals.

Gravely_Man

6. dukester

dukester LawnSite Member

I was told by the dealer I didn't have to do anything to the gear boxes. They were sealed. "don't do anything to them". Bickham, are you saying to check open them up and check them?
    I've got about 150 hours on mine. Best damn mower ever make. Thanks, Duke

7. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

They are sealed with seals but there should be a plug to add oil on them.

8. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

Usually you will start seeing some oil in the blade cup or on the top of the deck around the gear boxes to let you know that the seal is wearing or a gasket is not sealing well. If the seal blows out totally, you will smell the oil while you are mowing and then see it in the cup. The answer is yes that you should be checking it probably every 100 hours. I don't know how my oil got out without me noticing a leak.

Spare parts advice: if you don't already have a spare gear, seal and a few gaskets for the right angle gear boxes on the deck, you need to get some. I have ususally broken one to two gears per year and probably the same number of seals. For a good price on spares I suggest you check with RPM sales (Cap'n Devo).