Walker Deck Issue - no cut on one side

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by avp27, Apr 22, 2006.

1. avp27

avp27 LawnSite Member

Hi,

Anyone experienced an issue were only one spindle on the deck cuts. At the moment, the spindle that is on the same side as the PTO is cutting, The other side is not. When I lift the deck, i can spin it freely by hand. The Walker mower (MC) in the non tilt up model, 42'' deck with the 16hp Kohler.

thanks

2. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

If you're lucky..... you might have only sheared the shear bolts on the blade.

But if not that, you have a problem with either the center or outside gear box.

But how can you be cutting on only one side without the blades hitting each other? Or are they?

3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

the peerless box on that side is blown or stripped gears. double check pto sheer pin, though

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

So there is a sheer pin for each side? Where is that at?

5. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

Look at the blade. You will see two small shear bolts if the blade is attached to the blade hub properly. If these small bolts are missing you have likely discovered your prooblem.

These bolts are designed to shear if the blade contacts a rigid object so that the gearbox is not damaged. Overtightening the bolt in the center of the hub eliminates this design factor. Then, if you hit something you will damage the gearbox.

6. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe I'm missing something here. I realize that I have absolutely no experience with Walker mowers, but it seems to me that we're talking about a pretty universal belt and pully system to run the blades. Now, if the blade belt is turning one blade but not the other then it would be safe to say that he has a loose hex blade nut (which holds the blade on), or has sheered the woodruff pin/key which locks the pully and shaft into a set position?

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, you have missed a LOT here... Walkers use no belts on the GHS decks, all shaft and gearbox driven. The blades are timed, counter rotating, and overlap in the middle 2 to 4 inches depending on the width of the deck.

IF your two small shear bolts broke wouldn't the blade be laying on the ground? I'll have to look at mine again, lol. I forget which side the blade cup is on...

Mostly it sounds like a gearbox has stripped out, likely the bearings have gone out and the gears aren't making contact anymore. Have you seen a good deal of oil on the underside of the deck?

8. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

just on the blades and newer splined pto shafts going into center box. if it was blade pins and blade was still on, the blades would hit each other. pto pin... you might not be cutting at all. pull the top cover plate off the peerless box and look at gears. if you happen to have von ruden boxes... congratulations, youre the first one i heard of to blow one of them.

9. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I work on Walkers all day long. There are two shear bolts on EACH blade. On the newer Walkers there is also a shear pin on the input to the center gear box. All of these shear pins and bolts are made of soft metal DO NOT replace them with any thing else or you will be sorry. After you replace the shear bolts on the blades the blades MOST be torqued to 60 FT/LB. If you over tighten the blades and hit something the shear bolt will not shear as they are meant to and you could blow a gear box and they are not cheap. My shop has replaced 4 gear boxes in the last week and a half from people using the wrong shear pins and bolts and from over tightening the blades.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Yea I am aware of those shear bolts and am aware of the pin on the input side to the center gear box. I just finished putting the oil seal back in under the deck. I bought the unit used and didn't notice that it didn't have the oil seal guards on.