Walker - Deck Pushing Leaves Instead of VAcuuming

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcambrose, Oct 3, 2002.

1. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

ANy ideas or suggestions on picking up leaves with walkers. The decks want to push the leaves around rather than run over them. I raise the front of the deck a notch higher than the rear. If they get deep enough, I pick up the deck with my toes under the front support to get a pile. Anyone have other ideas.
  2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

There is a technique for the big piles, I go side to side and chew away at a pile. If it is big I raise the front all the way up and lower the back to about 3 holes. You will get most of them. You might have to lower down to 1.5 or 2 for the final pick up.

If I am in an area that I can push leaves to the curb I use the deck to do that while the pto is spinning. Nothing says that every leaf has to be run thru the Walker and bagged.
  3. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

You can get the manual deck lift, and raise the front of the deck with the handle, when needed.
  4. dukester

dukester LawnSite Member

I just work off a part of the pile at a time. I find that moving the deck from side to side while going forward slowly works best for me. I've even used a stick to puch down the leaves while I was going forward. If I had the money to get it I'd buy the lift for the deck.
  5. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

lift the front up another notch or two, go slower, and if they still pile up back off and hit it at a diffrent angle. If you have the ability to hual alot of leaves off some times it easier to rake lots up on a tarp load them and do a final clean with the mower....I find this is quicker if the leaves are real deep than going real slow and dumping every 5 feet.
  6. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Crazy as it sounds...back over the pile. Just be careful sometimes backing can cause leaves to build up into the engine area, don't want to have a fire!
  7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Get some scrap carpet, cut it into a strip 6" wide by about 8' long. Put the deck in it's highest position take the carpet and starting at the front wheel screwnail the carpet around the deck to the other front wheel. What this does is makes a carpet scrubber that rubs along the ground and still allows the leaves to be sucked in the front of the deck. The carpet lasts quite awhile and when it's worn out it's cheap to replace.
  8. shearbolt

shearbolt LawnSite Member

Put double gators and cover on discharge of Honda to mulch up the leaves a bit. Then vacuum the turf with the deck at hole 7 in front and 5 or 4 in back.