Walker deck question?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shearbolt, Nov 22, 2001.

1. shearbolt

shearbolt LawnSite Member

The gear oil leaked out of my deck gear boxes on my 48". How can I tell if I should replace the bearings. Will it really start to vibrate before the assembly fails. I'd rather tackle it now instead of in the heat of battle next spring. They seem to run fine , no extra vibration. Should I just leave them alone?
  2. For how cheap it is, I would replace it now.
  3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

The oil just dosen't "leak out". Most likely you hit some thing and blew the gasket. Half the time when this happens you also end up with a fracture in the housing so look at it very carefully. This is one of Walker's high maintence areas.

4. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

It could also just be the seal.
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Raise the deck and with the blades try and move the shaft side to side then up and down. If they move then the bearing are bad. Gear boxes are only a hundren bucks you can get them from Walker, lesco or any dealer who sells mowers that use temcumsa decks and gears on their mowers. Mulch decks use two differenet gear boxes and GHS decks use the same on both side. Be sure you get the right box or your blades will spin backwards. I don't think you can change the bearing easily and get a good seal so I just replace them.

PCS is more than likely right seals are always poping out. Replace the seals and get the after market keeper it is a large washer that can be screwed over the seal to keep it from poping out. These gear boxes get hot and if you run the mower into a ditch of water the instant cool down pops the seal out. OO grease is an other way to go but the boxes get real hot.

Walker are good machines and will hole up well, lasting for years. However they are slow and still built with 1960's techology. They are not for everyone but still have their place.