walker deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lynn, Dec 18, 2000.

1. lynn

lynn LawnSite Member
    from fl

I have a 42 inch ghs deck,has anyone converted one to a
    mulch deck,and if so how

2. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

I really don't think it would work.... the gear boxes go the wrong direction and the deck is too shollow the run the upper muclh blades..

3. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

HAVE YOU CHECKED INTO A SIDE DISCHARGE DECK? DEPENDING ON THE ENGINE SIZE YOU COULD BUY A 52 OR THE 54 SD. OR MAYBE YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN A 42" MULCHING DECK. I'M SURE YOU COULD FIND A GOOD USED UNIT SOMEWHERE.
    JUST A THOUGHT.
    Mowman

4. BIG D

BIG D LawnSite Member

YOU CANT MAKE IT A MULCHING DECK. JUST OPEN YOUR GHS HATCH AND LET IT BLOW OUT THE BACK. YOU WILL GET MORE GRASS ON SIDEWALKS, DRIVEWAYS, PORCHES ETC. BUT THAT IS WHAT YOU BUY BLOWERS FOR. FOR LEAVES I HAVE BUDDIES THAT MAKE THE LEAF SHREADER LIKE THE ONES GRASS GOBBLER MAKES. THEY WORK GREAT ON YOUR WALKER. ANY ?

5. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Lynn, The deck is to shallow to mulch. I bought the 42" mulching deck for the Walker and was dissapointed at first.
    I ended up buying Gator Blades for the mulching deck, and I use it all summer long. However with my picky customers I go over the lawn twice. The 2nd time I crisscross the lawn and make my stripes a tad wider and just fly over it and hide the clippins. Still beats emptying the bagger, anyday.
    If the lawns are to wet I switch back to the bagging deck.
    The only other option would be to buy a big side discharge and use the gator blades. This is a must on 1 acre plus properties.