Walker Decks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Tamers, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Turf Tamers

Turf Tamers LawnSite Member

I recently bought my first walker mower and what a machine. However, when I bought the mower I got two decks. A collection deck and a discharge deck. While changing the deck today I discovered what a pain in the #@#$ it was. Being a rookie Walker owner, I wander if anyone else has any whiz bang soluition for the changing process that will make it easy or at best less time consuming.
  2. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Find some concrete or other hard surface. release deck locks on both sides (red handles, the ones you release to lift the deck)....Now, pull both deck pins. Next lift seat as if you were looking at the engine. Pull spring out of slot. Put seat back down, start mower, and back away from deck. By releasing the deck lift handles, you have essentially laid the mower deck on the ground. It makes it easier to get back on because you can now move the part of the deck the shafts go into without having to lift the whole deck. Next time you are in Greensboro area, look me up.... I willl show you if you have trouble. my name on here is the name of the business.
  3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

It just takes some pratice, the more you do it the easyer it gets. Which decks did you get?

4. Turf Tamers

I have a 48" collection and a 52" side discharge.
  5. Turf Tamers

Green Scapes, your the man! I was not smart enough to figure out that raising the seat would take almost all of the tension out of the spring. Man I have been using pure muscle to hang that spring. (Im such a cluts). Anyhow thanks for the advise its been a huge help. If you need a contact in Burlington give me a call @ 336-260-7588, by the way I work for the local PD there in Greensboro!
  6. Turf Tamers

I ment (Grass Scapes)
  7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Don't feel bad about having trouble eith that spring. When I first bought mine I did not know about tipping up the seat either. I about lost some fingers trying to hook and unhook that spring bracket. Finally, I called the dealer and they told me how to do it. The dealer said, "Oh, did we forget to show you that trick?" I was ready to kill someone about then.
  8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Ahahahahaha, you were using pure muscle ahahahahaha. Oh sorry, thats what I did when I first tried changing decks. :cool2:

Isn't this a great site.
    That 52 deck is a monster and it cuts great in all conditions, I am sure you will be pleased with it. After a little practice you can swap those decks out in a couple minutes.
  9. ztrlvr

ztrlvr LawnSite Member
    from US

How can a guy pay that kind of money for mower and NOT look at the owners manual. Even if you bought it used you should have told the dealer you wanted a set of manuals.

From Owners Manual

10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The owners manual was missing, and it took them about a week to get me a manual. ;)