Walker Decks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass-scapes, Apr 29, 2003.

1. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I am considering purchasing another deck for my 18 HP Walker. The clippings are difficult to deal with at times and am wondering what recommendations people out there have. I am looking at the 42 inch mulching deck and the 48 inch side discharge. I am leaning toward the mulching deck as I have the rear discharge deflector, but it seems to just lay thicker grass on top of the turf and looks worse than "rows". I am also looking at getting Gator blades for the current deck and am wondering if anyone has had any experience with those as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, a place to pick up a new deck, or pricing in your area for a new deck would be very informative to me.

2. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

I cannot comment on the two decks you are looking at however, you can get pricing info at Weno Power equipment in High Pont.

Regarding Gator blades for your GHS deck, I tried them and did not find an appreciable difference in clipping reduction except when it came to leaves. The grass just doesn't stay under the deck long enough to benefit from the Gators.

I too am looking into an additional deck and if anyone has any feedback on the either the 42" discharge or mulcher I'm all ears.

3. blkberry

blkberry LawnSite Member

We are cutting bluegrass, and try to mulch as much as poss. I demoed a mulching deck for our 20 horse walker, it was so slow our walk behinds were faster!:mad:

4. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

I have the 52" mulch/discharge deck and have found it very marginal when using the mulch kit to cut fescue. Just too much clumping.

I suspect the 42" mulcher is too limiting and will probably get the 42" SD.