Walker dethatcher mod

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cantoo, Apr 27, 2007.

1. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I didn't like the long handle on the Walker dethatcher so I changed mine. The following pics show what I did. It works great and take up less storage space on the wall of my cube van. You use your foot to lift and to release you don't need your hands at all to use it.

IMG_0410a.jpg

2. cantoo

next pic 2

IMG_0411a.jpg

3. cantoo

next pic 3

IMG_0412a.jpg

4. cantoo

next pic 4

IMG_0413a.jpg

5. cantoo

I didn't like the crappy little extensions that came with it for the 48" deck so I made my own. I also keep a few spare tines wired to it so I don't have to go looking for them when I break one.

6. David Hartzog

David Hartzog Banned

the original is a good stabbing device and i can a big problem waiting to happen. yours seems to be safer too.

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Nice mods Cantoo. That 200.00 piece of metal sure brings in the green. Canadien or U.S.:canadaflag: :usflag:

:laugh:

I have been experimenting with different tines. Our Fleet Farm store has some baler teeth that look similar to Walkers but are heavier. Funny thing is they cost 1/4 as much but they can only be used on thick lawns. They are pretty aggressive and can cut a thin lawn to ribbons. Do they charge you an arm and a leg for tines up in the great white north? My dethatching season is coming to a close this week and then we are on to mowing and fertilizing until brown out. Once again, nice mod on the dethatcher, sand it paint it and call Bob Walker.

8. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Looks good. How old is that Walker? looks like a mid to late 1990's model from the design of the deck. I don't have the Walker dethatcher but i have the Jrco 46" dethatcher on my walker. I took the handle off also so i just pick it up to flip up the dethatcher when transporting it. Walker GHS mowers work very well with dethatchers.

9. cantoo

Redmax, it's a 98 model.
    Mow Ed, I use the original Walker tines they are the only ones I can get that are "soft" enough. I think they are Can$8.00 each. I showed pictures to my dealer a few years ago. He thought it was great and was going to send some pics on, I guess it wasn't good enough to make a change. Some day I should take the dethatcher to him so he can really see it.
    I use the ones you are talking about from TSC on my heavy Steiner dethatcher and my leaf plow. They are made for John Deere balers. Under $3.00 a piece and last a long tme.

10. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Do the walker dethatchers work well? My dad has a snapper and a dethatcher for it and it doesnt work too well i am a little hesitant to spend the money on a walker because it looks like his almost exactly and he doesnt work