walker dethatcher

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turf dog, Mar 15, 2006.

1. turf dog

turf dog LawnSite Member

Has anyone every used the dethatcher attachment for the walker mower. I was looking into getting one and was wanting some feedback from anybody that has used one.

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We have one for ours. It works well, the only thing I don't like about it is that when you come up to a bed and pull the tines up it sometimes flings grass into the bed.:cry: Other than that we love it.

3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I have one. I posted pictures here before somewhere. I changed the lifting mechanism so I could lift it with my foot instead of by hand. Much easier to use now, I'll have to take some new pictures soon.
  4. lawncarepros2004

lawncarepros2004 LawnSite Member

They come in handy for some applications but it's not a very effective dethatcher. I have a power raker husky dethatcher that i use over the walker rake all the time.
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

This is actually a rake but they call it a dethatcher. It is an excellent piece of equipment that makes me lots of money. It is your job as a professional to check the lawns and see if you are dealing with a TRUE thatch problem or if the lawn just needs to be fluffed up and cleaned after a long winter.

A true thatch problem requires a destructive process with vertical knives to rip the thatch out.

A power rake that spins wires will pull more debris out of a lawn but will do nothing for a true thatch problem. Equate thatch to a wool rug. The Walker attatchment does nothing to pull thatch and niether does a vetrical mower unless it is equipped with knives to cut the thatch out.

My customers love the way the Walker grooms the lawn and I love the way that I can do the job quickly without buying another 1200.00 machine not to mention having to walk behind it and do more physical labor. Smarter NOT harder is my motto.

I will mention that there have been many excellent threads about thatch in the search function if you wish. Groundkprs (Jim) has lots of excellent information about thatch. Its our job as professionals to know our business and this is the stuff that seperates the true pros from the grass boys. Good Luck.
  6. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i couldn't have said it better....the walker rake is awesome for loosening the matted down leaves and grass. then the Walker vacks up all debris.

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Like others have said, it's great for cleaning up the lawn, pulling dead matter up and "fluffing" the grass up. It's not a great and actual dethatcher. You need a motorized tool for that. If you dethatch lawns with a motorized tool...like a Bluebird dethatcher and run back over with the Walker alone, it will not get everything up and thus leaving matter on the lawn with the risk of killing some grass. I run over the lawn with the Walker and then put on their dethatching tine rake and it pulls of that dethatched material to the top where the Walker can once again vacumm it up.
  8. dr.lawn21

dr.lawn21 LawnSite Member

Great money making tool for us. Like the others have said though if you have an actual thatch problem, the walker tines will not do as good as and actual power-rake. My Walker dethatcher cost around $175, and I made that back on the first job. payup
  9. one man gang

one man gang LawnSite Fanatic
    from N. In.

What are you guys getting for a power rake job?
  10. houssien

houssien LawnSite Member

where did u get it from with 175
    i asked for my husqvarna walk behind and they said 449